• VMI

VMI

#79296  by The Jackal
 Sun Nov 05, 2023 2:00 pm
The Keydets are a dangerous team. Typically well coached. Will play you tough. Gonna be another fight.
bj93, Affirm, Purple rain liked this
 #79298  by Affirm
 Sun Nov 05, 2023 2:11 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2023 2:00 pm
The Keydets are a dangerous team. Typically well coached. Will play you tough. Gonna be another fight.
Exactly right.
 #79300  by The Jackal
 Sun Nov 05, 2023 2:16 pm
I think our defense is going to keep answering the bell. I think the largest question going forward is just that offensive consistency.
furpal81, bj93, dornb liked this
 #79304  by FU Hoopla
 Sun Nov 05, 2023 3:08 pm
Paladins will roll next Saturday folks ;)
 #79309  by FU Hoopla
 Sun Nov 05, 2023 3:15 pm
 #79310  by apaladin
I know every game is different both mentally and physically but just throwng out a few facts from VMI’s game with UTC last week and FU’s game this week vs. UTC. FU rushed for 68 yds on 31 carries or 2.3 ypc. VMI rushed for 210 yds on 39 carries or 5.4 ypc. They had one rb with 25 carries and 208 yds or 8 ypc. They also throw it well, had iver 200 yds against UTC and have several big receivers. This game will not be easy and if FU sleep walks like they did against Citadel and ETSU don’t be surprised if it goes in the L column. VMI is better than both of those.
BTW-speaking of UTC, they had to be very disappointed in the crowd of 9,200 for a game with the championship on the line on a gorgeous November day.
 #79312  by purplehorse123
 Sun Nov 05, 2023 3:31 pm
We need to bring our A game for sure. VMI could have easily beaten Chat.

It would be nice to start developing some consistency and confidence in our offense.
bj93, apaladin, dornb and 1 others liked this
 #79313  by gofurman
 Sun Nov 05, 2023 3:54 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2023 2:16 pm
I think our defense is going to keep answering the bell. I think the largest question going forward is just that offensive consistency.
Yep. SOOOO impressed with our D !! Holding WVU to 17? UTC was lucky to score 14. Lucky. Wow. Really I love to eat crow if it means we did well!. I didn’t think we had a pass rush - bc early in the year we didn’t - but we have had one lately ! So glad to see it. And Blackshear will hopefully be healthy soon. Ryan should return. And the deep throws aren’t beating us as much lately. (Though there were a few yesterday v utc they honestly should have completed - slight overthrows to open WRs or drops)

Funny how the D has improved and the O seems mired in mediocrity. If we can run the ball we are fine. When passing is necessary because we can’t get consistent running.. we become very ordinary. Everyone is scheming to put too many in the box or more than we can possibly block. Well that leaves other things open. We Have To be able to make them pay for this basic football strategy of stacking the box .
 #79317  by Affirm
 Sun Nov 05, 2023 6:46 pm
apaladin wrote:
I know every game is different both mentally and physically but just throwng out a few facts from VMI’s game with UTC last week and FU’s game this week vs. UTC. FU rushed for 68 yds on 31 carries or 2.3 ypc. VMI rushed for 210 yds on 39 carries or 5.4 ypc. They had one rb with 25 carries and 208 yds or 8 ypc. They also throw it well, had iver 200 yds against UTC and have several big receivers. This game will not be easy and if FU sleep walks like they did against Citadel and ETSU don’t be surprised if it goes in the L column. VMI is better than both of those.
BTW-speaking of UTC, they had to be very disappointed in the crowd of 9,200 for a game with the championship on the line on a gorgeous November day.
Thank YOU !!
apaladin liked this
 #79322  by Paul C
 Sun Nov 05, 2023 9:36 pm
ETSU “offense” rolled up 424 yards including 50 rushes for 286 yards yesterday vs VMI. The same ETSU O that didn’t score against us. ETSU takes care of the ball and they win.

Yes they are a decent team but we should be able to handle them.
Purple rain liked this
 #79334  by The Jackal
 Mon Nov 06, 2023 6:22 am
I think folks sometimes underestimate how difficult it is in the SoCon to play every team every season. Every week you have to be ready to play.

I suspect Furman/VMI will be another war of attrition. Our offense is plenty good enough to score points - and have at times - but I think the way this Furman team plays is to utilize field position, lean on the stellar and deep defense, and take care of the football.

I do not suppose we will get really aggressive against the Keydets in play calling. VMI is not a great offensive football team, and I imagine we'll play the field position game, force their defense to drive the field on us, and look for opportunities to put points on the board when available.
Purple rain liked this
 #79342  by Purple rain
 Mon Nov 06, 2023 7:22 am
I am thankful we are playing at HOME!
dornb liked this
 #79347  by gofurman
 Mon Nov 06, 2023 8:43 am
Purple rain wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 7:22 am
I am thankful we are playing at HOME!
this - man, how impressive we beat Samford, Western, and UTC all on the ROAD !!!

Preseason top Samford, and two top ranked teams alll on road.

Only one of the 4 toughest we had at home was Mercer.
Choir Boy liked this
 #79349  by FU Hoopla
 Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:39 am
 #79357  by 'Din Djarin
 Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:48 am
My hope is that Furman will "Crock Pot" both VMI and Wofford.

If you're not familiar with the football term "Crock Potting", then first let me suggest that you check out The Solid Verbal as a college football podcast. Dan & Ty do a wonderful job, and they manage to dedicate a small segment of their prediction shows to the FCS (Patriot League, they have a lot of fun with that). Second, "Crock Potting" an opponent means that you spend the first half or so really tenderizing them and putting pressure on them so by the 3rd or 4th quarter, they just start to fall apart like a nice roast after its been in the pot under heat and pressure for a few hours. "Crock Potting" a team requires that you put the clamps on them defensively, and really dedicate yourself to running the ball early in the game so that what goes for 2-3 yards in the first quarter goes for 7-8 by the time the fourth quarter rolls around. I'm betting Furman would like to do the same to both teams as well.
Paul C liked this

Recent Topics

User avatar Furman at Mississippi Negative Nancy

by FUTex

Sun May 19, 2024 1:57 am

Default Avatar Roster Rebuild

by Dins&Heels

Sat May 18, 2024 6:22 pm

Default Avatar 2024 opponents

by Affirm

Sat May 18, 2024 11:04 am

User avatar PreSeason Poll

by FUBeAR

Sat May 18, 2024 4:44 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by FU Hoopla

Fri May 17, 2024 11:27 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.