• What a gutsy team!

#79339  by AstroDin
 Mon Nov 06, 2023 7:04 am
The Jackal wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 6:36 am
Perhaps the most impressive thing about this team is the defensive rotation.

Furman easily has the best defense in the league, and one of the best defenses in the country. There are only three players in the top 25 for tackles in the SoCon, one of which is Hugh Ryan, who is about the only guy that doesn't rotate out.

Furman gives up fewer than 20 points per game and quite literally rotates two complete platoons of defensive players into every game with hardly any drop off in production. That's crazy to me.

Just Saturday, against one of the league's best teams, we lost our captain and leading tackler in the first quarter and you really couldn't tell.
This team — defensively hits people and attacks.
This defense is a privilege to watch.
Purple rain, dornb liked this
 #79340  by Purple rain
 Mon Nov 06, 2023 7:18 am
I have been watching Furman Football since 1982 and its the Gutsiest performance I have seen in a big game due to injuries, etc. This bunch gets the TEAM concept! Go Dins!
The best "Culture" in FCS football is at Furman University.
Bootie, FUBeAR, QCGlue and 3 others liked this
 #79343  by Bootie
 Mon Nov 06, 2023 7:33 am
Purple rain wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 7:18 am
I have been watching Furman Football since 1982 and its the Gutsiest performance I have seen in a big game due to injuries, etc. This bunch gets the TEAM concept! Go Dins!
The best "Culture" in FCS football is at Furman University.
I think this is a large reason for this team’s success. Other programs might transfer in half their players to try and build a more talented team, but this Furman team has the behind-the-scenes intangibles of a true family and team connection, thanks to the leadership of CCH. You can hear how the players talk about that in the postgame and Monday interviews. That kind of connection cannot be simply selected from the portal.
FUBeAR, gman84, QCGlue and 3 others liked this
 #79365  by Purple rain
 Mon Nov 06, 2023 10:56 am
You look at all the connections from players to coaches to support personnel. I love seeing our strength and conditioning staff running around and motivating our guys. You cant say enough about culture and relationships....FU DINS! 2023 SOCON Champs!
dornb, AllTimeFU, QCGlue liked this
 #79372  by The Jackal
 Mon Nov 06, 2023 11:11 am
This picture says a lot to me about the makeup of this team.

Maybe he didn't have a change of clothes, but I love that Huff knew he wasn't going back into the game and was still wearing his pads.

#79377  by AstroDin
 Mon Nov 06, 2023 11:29 am
A couple of random thoughts…
Two players, IMO are stepping up.
Jeremiah Jackson added two more sacks. JJ is hard to handle.
The rotation of him and Baton has to be whiplash for opposing tackles.

The other is our Swiss-Army-Knife - Wayne Anderson Jr.
Number 9 returns kicks, blocks punts, and Saturday carried a 207-pound DB into the endzone for the game-winning score.
dornb, Davemeister, QCGlue liked this
 #79381  by The Jackal
 Mon Nov 06, 2023 11:47 am
Hinton and Ferguson stepping up to play in the slot and the coach's willingness to move Anderson back to the backfield have been huge developments this season.

We'd be up a creek without Anderson's flexibility with all the injuries to RB.
AstroDin, Purple rain, dornb liked this
 #79384  by The Jackal
 Mon Nov 06, 2023 11:57 am
Just watch this pass rush. Focus on each defensive lineman.

This isn't a one man band thing. Furman is rushing 4 and UTC leaves 6 guys in to block them. Furman's defensive line just resets the entire offensive line into the QB's face. Nothing fancy, just low man wins.

AstroDin liked this
 #79387  by FUBeAR
 Mon Nov 06, 2023 12:08 pm
The Jackal wrote:

This isn't a one man band thing. Furman is rushing 4 and UTC leaves 6 guys in to block them. Furman's defensive line just resets the entire offensive line into the QB's face. Nothing fancy, just low man wins.

FUBeAR appears to be quite happy with the outcome of that play.
Paladin82 liked this
 #79393  by AllTimeFU
 Mon Nov 06, 2023 12:24 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 6:49 am
I don't recall seeing Furman do this in years' past (but I'm prone to forget).

Frequently with Anderson, you'll see him utilize this little "hop motion" right before the snap. He's moving laterally, and I presume it's to go ahead and create space and a little momentum as he's coming out of the backfield to gain a step on the defensive player. Those extra two or three steps may be the difference in being open or covered.

I completely agree and have noticed the same thing over the past 3 or 4 weeks. The timing on that has to be just right and definitely gives us a head start.
 #79413  by Davemeister
 Mon Nov 06, 2023 2:54 pm
AstroDin wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 11:29 am
Two players, IMO are stepping up.
Jeremiah Jackson added two more sacks. JJ is hard to handle.
The rotation of him and Baton has to be whiplash for opposing tackles.

Both were Beasts last Saturday.
FUBeAR, dornb, QCGlue liked this
 #79421  by AstroDin
 Mon Nov 06, 2023 3:45 pm
The Jackal wrote:

Luke Clark!
QCGlue liked this

Recent Topics

User avatar Furman at Mississippi Negative Nancy

by FUTex

Sun May 19, 2024 1:57 am

Default Avatar Roster Rebuild

by Dins&Heels

Sat May 18, 2024 6:22 pm

Default Avatar 2024 opponents

by Affirm

Sat May 18, 2024 11:04 am

User avatar PreSeason Poll

by FUBeAR

Sat May 18, 2024 4:44 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by FU Hoopla

Fri May 17, 2024 11:27 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.