• What a gutsy team!

#79293  by cavedweller2
 Sun Nov 05, 2023 1:28 pm
In the event Huff is rested on Saturday I think we will be in good shape. 5 looked more than capable and the fact that he is in will raise the intensity around him to make sure he is successful.
 #79295  by The Jackal
 Sun Nov 05, 2023 1:49 pm
Furman's a top 15 defense nationally. In SoCon play, they've surrendered only about 14 points per game and still hasn't faced two of the three worst offenses in the conference.
QCGlue liked this
 #79327  by FUBeAR
 Sun Nov 05, 2023 10:26 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2023 1:46 pm
It's wild to me we won that game and THIS play went against us.

Love to see the end zone view of this.

It's not on screen, but it's hard to imagine that wasn't a block in the back by their deep WR on our Safety. As you can now see…They appear on the right of the screen at 11 seconds. The FU Safety is sprawled on the turf on his belly with his head toward the LOS...and the Chatt WR is near the FU Player's feet, facing the LOS and leaning over the Furman Player's sprawled body.

Anyone seen / got an EZ clip of that play?
 #79328  by apaladin
 Sun Nov 05, 2023 10:56 pm
I said it before I don’t think we see TH come Saturday. If he was unable to play in the biggest game of the year I don’t see him healing up and being ready in a week. Hope I’m wrong.
 #79329  by apaladin
 Sun Nov 05, 2023 11:01 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
The Jackal wrote:

It's not on screen, but it's hard to imagine that wasn't a block in the back by their deep WR on our Safety. As you can now see…They appear on the right of the screen at 11 seconds. The FU Safety is sprawled on the turf on his belly with his head toward the LOS...and the Chatt WR is near the FU Player's feet, facing the LOS and leaning over the Furman Player's sprawled body.

Slow it down, looks like a good block and our guy rolls over on his belly after he hits the ground.
 #79330  by FUBeAR
 Sun Nov 05, 2023 11:14 pm
apaladin wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2023 11:01 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
The Jackal wrote:

Slow it down, looks like a good block and our guy rolls over on his belly after he hits the ground.
Yeah - see what you are saying and see that it’s a CB, not Safety

Edit - saw an end zone view on a Chatt news broadcast. It's weird. The Chatt player had 22 faced up to go block him, but 22 went running toward the ball carrier and, in a way, 'gave' the Chatt WR his back...and almost went down himself before or just as the Chatt player made fairly light (looking) contact with his back. It was almost like he was trying to 'draw' a block in the back penalty. FUBeAR knows our really smart Players are playing 5D Yahtzee out there, but just can't imagine he thought to do that while the ball carrier was in front of him and running free toward our end zone.
Last edited by FUBeAR on Mon Nov 06, 2023 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #79331  by apaladin
 Mon Nov 06, 2023 2:10 am
Went back and watch the replay when Huff got hurt. Didn’t realize his last play was the play before the first fg. He was rolling to his left and was hit from behind but it didn’t look bad at all. He immediately bounced up and showed no signs of being hurt. After that he was seen standng on the sidelines in pads but no helmet indicating he was done for the day. I know we are all hoping for the best for Tyler. I guess we will find out more on thr CCH show tomorrow. One other thing I noticed was Tyler Huff was the first on the field to hug Carson Jones.
QCGlue, dornb liked this
 #79332  by The Jackal
 Mon Nov 06, 2023 6:17 am
Furman still has a lot to play for.

Huff is a tough hombre. I believe last year he dislocated his elbow and missed just the one game. At worst, we'll have a week to get Carson Jones ready to start.
 #79333  by AstroDin
 Mon Nov 06, 2023 6:21 am
Watching that clip, you see the athletic ability of DiMaggio.
DiMaggio almost clips the receiver.
 #79335  by The Jackal
 Mon Nov 06, 2023 6:25 am
AstroDin wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 6:21 am
Watching that clip, you see the athletic ability of DiMaggio.
DiMaggio almost clips the receiver.
I noticed the same thing. Dimaggio almost runs down one of UTC's fastest players.

Dimaggio is a redshirt junior. His third on the team in tackles, first in TFLs, and first in sacks. If he opts to finish out his eligibility, he could be a potential DPOTY candidate.
QCGlue, dornb liked this
 #79336  by The Jackal
 Mon Nov 06, 2023 6:36 am
Perhaps the most impressive thing about this team is the defensive rotation.

Furman easily has the best defense in the league, and one of the best defenses in the country. There are only three players in the top 25 for tackles in the SoCon, one of which is Hugh Ryan, who is about the only guy that doesn't rotate out.

Furman gives up fewer than 20 points per game and quite literally rotates two complete platoons of defensive players into every game with hardly any drop off in production. That's crazy to me.

Just Saturday, against one of the league's best teams, we lost our captain and leading tackler in the first quarter and you really couldn't tell.
AstroDin, QCGlue, dornb liked this
 #79337  by The Jackal
 Mon Nov 06, 2023 6:49 am
I don't recall seeing Furman do this in years' past (but I'm prone to forget).

Frequently with Anderson, you'll see him utilize this little "hop motion" right before the snap. He's moving laterally, and I presume it's to go ahead and create space and a little momentum as he's coming out of the backfield to gain a step on the defensive player. Those extra two or three steps may be the difference in being open or covered.

AstroDin, MNORM, dornb liked this