• What a gutsy team!

#79230  by FurmanFan23
 Sat Nov 04, 2023 8:40 pm
What happened to Huff? Who else was injured? Been traveling all day due to work and missed the last important game of the season! About to have a heart attack if huff misses time!
 #79240  by apaladin
 Sat Nov 04, 2023 10:19 pm
FurmanFan23 wrote:
What happened to Huff? Who else was injured? Been traveling all day due to work and missed the last important game of the season! About to have a heart attack if huff misses time!
Yep hate it too. Most likely won’t play next week if he couldn’t go today. Hopefully he will be back soon. Was it his throwng shoulder?
 #79241  by FUwolfpacker
 Sat Nov 04, 2023 10:25 pm
apaladin wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2023 10:19 pm
FurmanFan23 wrote:
Yep hate it too. Most likely won’t play next week if he couldn’t go today. Hopefully he will be back soon. Was it his throwng shoulder?
Yes, it was his right shoulder. In the picture with the trophy after the game, you can see some tape or bandage on his right shoulder. Not sure if that has anything to do with the injury or not.
apaladin liked this
 #79242  by FurmAlum
 Sat Nov 04, 2023 10:57 pm
A few random thoughts.

It was important that CJ is a redshirt freshman and not a true freshman. He's had a year to learn the system. Bob Richey's "work while you wait" certainly applies here. You can tell he's been working and man was he ready.

What stands out about Furman is that we have so many players that can get the job done. There is a quality back up at every position and some have 2 quality back ups. This is going to be so important in the playoffs where injury attrition is going to hamper a lot of teams. We're going to be a handful for any team.

We may have the FCS's best defense. My All SoCon Defensive Team - THE ENTIRE 11 PLAYERS ON THE FURMAN DEFENSE. I know it won't happen but who you gonna leave off? I swear every player can make a case.

And by the way, you think the Chatty SID might need to make that retraction on who is in first place? Or do they think 6-2 trumps 6-0?? Don't major in math at Chatty! HaHaHa.
AstroDin, FurmanATT, QCGlue liked this
 #79252  by gofurman
 Sun Nov 05, 2023 12:19 am
FurmAlum wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2023 10:57 pm
A few random thoughts.

It was important that CJ is a redshirt freshman and not a true freshman. He's had a year to learn the system. Bob Richey's "work while you wait" certainly applies here. You can tell he's been working and man was he ready.

What stands out about Furman is that we have so many players that can get the job done. There is a quality back up at every position and some have 2 quality back ups. This is going to be so important in the playoffs where injury attrition is going to hamper a lot of teams. We're going to be a handful for any team.

We may have the FCS's best defense. My All SoCon Defensive Team - THE ENTIRE 11 PLAYERS ON THE FURMAN DEFENSE. I know it won't happen but who you gonna leave off? I swear every player can make a case.

And by the way, you think the Chatty SID might need to make that retraction on who is in first place? Or do they think 6-2 trumps 6-0?? Don't major in math at Chatty! HaHaHa.
I agree. we have a lot of DUDES - esp creating pass rush now ! FIVE SACKS by the good guys ! Love it.

however, I am so literal.. LOL at me. But a few of the Chatty DL belong on the all Socon D. I give credit where due. They had some DUDES on that DL. blew by us for a nasty sack or three. Impressed with Jay Person - seemed very fast for his size
 #79260  by FU3
 Sun Nov 05, 2023 7:48 am
The guy who exemplifies this team’s attitude is Wayne Anderson. He gets moved back to RB from WR because of injuries to others and all he does is make one huge play after another in our biggest games.
FUpaladin08, dornb, QCGlue and 1 others liked this
 #79262  by FUpaladin08
 Sun Nov 05, 2023 8:45 am
The Jackal wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2023 6:22 am
Our offense stresses me out some days, but at least we aren’t doing this on fourth down with our season on the line:

Several times they ran gadget plays on critical 3rd and 4th downs, or simply chucked it downfield I can only assume they were hoping for PI. Of course teams have had success against Furman’s defense this season doing those things so I guess we can be happy with improvement.

I’m not not really sure what they were running that last play. It broke down pretty quick. Tough play calls on that other sideline.
Last edited by FUpaladin08 on Sun Nov 05, 2023 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #79263  by gofurman
 Sun Nov 05, 2023 8:51 am
FUpaladin08 wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2023 8:45 am
The Jackal wrote:
Our offense stresses me out some days, but at least we aren’t doing this on fourth down with our season on the line:

Several times they ran gadget plays on critical 3rd and 4th downs, or simply chucked it downfield I can only assume they were hoping for PI. Of course teams have had success against Furman’s defense this season doing those things so I guess we can be happy with improvement.

I’m not not really sure what they were running that last play. It broke down pretty quick. Tough playing calls on that other sideline.

There have been some reverses (Samford come to mind) that have caught us off guard... but I admit when I saw the play I honestly thought he was going to throw it as a halfback pass

However, one of their absolute best plays all day was the 5 yard out pass. just a simple route to the sideline which is often too quick for DL pressure to affect the QB. I am so glad they ran the play they did instead of a basic 5 yard pass. Also, yes, even the announcers mentioned they just ... kept.. throwing.. deep at the end. But that I can get at least understand as we have struggled to cover that at times plus uo have the shot at a PI
 #79279  by apaladin
 Sun Nov 05, 2023 10:57 am
The Jackal wrote:

That was a very bad play call. It was only 4 and 3 not 4th and 23. Glad they ran it but it was a terrible call in that situation but I guess they were desperate as they had just used their last time out before that play.
 #79283  by The Jackal
 Sun Nov 05, 2023 11:38 am
I will tell you what, I've watched this a few times and think it is a heckuva play by Chizik, Dimaggio, and Yates. I'd love to see the end zone view of this play.

First, I'm not exactly sure why UTC would select this play in such a critical situation. I suppose they assumed no one would expect it (which was probably true).

From what I can tell, the play design looks to run a jet sweep, but double Whatley back on what amounts to a boot. The center sells the run and then pulls back across the formation.

There appear to be two passing targets. One deep (Mayes) and then one shallow option (Artopoeus).

Chizik, who likely has the first man out of the backfield to his direction quickly appears to realize that it is the QB, not a back or receiver, the he is supposed to pick up. Artopoeus goes out to the flat and is immediately attacked by Chizik. Chizik sees it immediately. As soon as Whatley tucks the ball to run he leaves Artopoeus and attacks Whatley.

Dimaggio recognizes the boot and comes flying up like a missile. The pulling offensive lineman has no chance to block him. DiMaggio doesn't make the tackle, but he forces Whatley to flatten out his route and start running sideways.

I'd love to see the endzone view of Yates. He is right in Mayes face as he runs down the field. You can see Whatley signal to Mayes to keep running, which I presume means that Yates passed Mayes off to our deep safety. Yates ends up reversing course and coming up to force Whatley to the sideline. The dude was flying up the field.

If Whatley had seen it, he may had been able to pull up right there at the end and hit Artopoeus, but I think by that point he'd made up his mind to run for the first down.

If you are a UTC fan, it definitely looked like at the critical moment, you took the ball out of your hands of your best passer and put it in the hands of your best receiver, allowing neither of them to do what they do best. Great job by the Furman defense, though, to stick with their assignments and recognize the play.
FurmanATT liked this
 #79284  by FUPlayer74
 Sun Nov 05, 2023 11:50 am
Equally impressed Chizik had the wherewithal to pull up on the sideline hit, throw the shoulder and make sure of no targeting.
QCGlue liked this
 #79289  by The Jackal
 Sun Nov 05, 2023 12:16 pm
FUPlayer74 wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2023 11:50 am
Equally impressed Chizik had the wherewithal to pull up on the sideline hit, throw the shoulder and make sure of no targeting.
I swear every time Chizik tackles someone they fold in half and go backwards. He may be the best tackler I've seen play for Furman.

Recent Topics

User avatar Furman at Mississippi Negative Nancy

by FUTex

Sun May 19, 2024 1:57 am

Default Avatar Roster Rebuild

by Dins&Heels

Sat May 18, 2024 6:22 pm

Default Avatar 2024 opponents

by Affirm

Sat May 18, 2024 11:04 am

User avatar PreSeason Poll

by FUBeAR

Sat May 18, 2024 4:44 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by FU Hoopla

Fri May 17, 2024 11:27 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.