#80113  by FUpaladin08
 Mon Nov 13, 2023 3:58 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2023 1:55 pm
FUpaladin08 wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2023 1:32 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2023 11:42 am
I think it's also positive that four SoCon teams are in the top 21.

Interestingly, Mercer is the lowest ranked team, but has 8 wins.

It's going to be a real head scratcher if the rankings say UTC is a top 20 team, but they can't make a 24 team field.
Agree on UTC but I do understand the difficulties once looking at all 7-4 teams. Watched this today where they do a mock playoff selection: https://www.youtube.com/live/58z8dn5B3s ... DaF2hq49S8
I was surprised how it was easy to leave off UTC when comparing ranked wins, FBS wins, and lastly SOS across those 7-4 teams. Poor UTC only has 1 ranked win right?
Will look forward to giving that a listen.

Mercer just didn't get the 'bounce' some expected and certainly hoped for in the rankings from beating Samford. There will be some VERY ANGRY BEARS if they do not receive an At Large bid.
It is definitely good material and they have WCU and Mercer locked in the field. They unfortunately stick all three SoCon teams together but I hope that was bc they rushed that part of the bracket when placing the 1st round matchups.
 #80125  by Louis Tully
 Mon Nov 13, 2023 5:39 pm
If 4 SoCons get in I predict we play a So Con Team on 12/2 and again on 12/16.
 #80317  by cavedweller2
 Wed Nov 15, 2023 7:53 pm
Mercer in the semis at home would be cool with me.
 #80318  by FUBeAR
 Wed Nov 15, 2023 8:11 pm
cavedweller2 wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 7:53 pm
Mercer in the semis at home would be cool with me.
As much as FUBeAR would hate that, he would also love it.
 #80351  by FUBeAR
 Thu Nov 16, 2023 9:34 am
Today's Fun Fraud Facts for Football - Big Sky version...

* Montana has played in 62 Playoff games. 74% of those have been at Home. The Griz are 1-15 (.062) in Away Playoff games. ONE AND FIFTEEN!!!!

Montana State has played in 25 Playoff games. About 54% (something like that) have been at Home. The Bobcats are 1-7 (.125) in Away Playoff games. ONE AND SEVEN!!!!

Combined 2-22 (.083) in Away Playoff Games. TWO AND TWENTY-TWO!!!!

That seems pretty frappin' statistically significant.

Also saw that Furman had played 38 Playoff games. About 58% have been at Home. The Paladins are 8-8 (.500) in Away Playoff games. (Ahh...you mean how GOOD TEAMS are able to win at home and on the road...instead of relying on the location in some frozen tundra in goodness-knows-where for their competitive advantage? Yes...that's EXACTLY WHAT FUBeAR MEANS!!!)

Those really and truly are amazing stats to FUBeAR and FUBeAR now fully understands the MASSIVE efforts by Montana's and Montana State's 'bloc' to steal the #2 Seed that Furman will have EARNED with a win this Saturday.

Also - It's a shame the FCS Media / Pundits seem to be totally complicit in this effort - heck, they might even be leading it. It seems the relative size of a Team's (reachable) Fan Base might be high on their Playoff Seeding criteria list. $$$$$

FUBeAR holds out hope that the Committee, this year, will just rely on On-the-Field Results in their deliberations. Seems kinda like the thing they are supposed to do, huh?
apaladin, Purple rain, purplehorse123 and 1 others liked this
 #80355  by The Jackal
 Thu Nov 16, 2023 11:44 am
Good find.

From what I've seen, the circular argument goes like this:

1. The SoCon has not performed well enough in the post season to deserve a high seed.

2. The clearest indicator of a team that does well in the post season is a high seed (bye weeks, playing at home, limited cross country travel)

3. Furman cannot get the benefit of having the high seed, because the conference has not shown enough ability to win, because they don't ever get high seeds.
 #80356  by FUBeAR
 Thu Nov 16, 2023 12:37 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2023 11:44 am
Good find.

From what I've seen, the circular argument goes like this:

1. The SoCon has not performed well enough in the post season to deserve a high seed.

2. The clearest indicator of a team that does well in the post season is a high seed (bye weeks, playing at home, limited cross country travel)

3. Furman cannot get the benefit of having the high seed, because the conference has not shown enough ability to win, because they don't ever get high seeds.
Correct AND…

Put 1 or 2 SoCon marbles in the bucket and put 4-7 Big Sky + 4-7 MVFC marbles in the bucket. Assume the marbles are the same size. Now pull out some marbles … bet ya got fewer SoCon marbles, don’t ya?

…AND

You go 15 rounds with Joe Frazier today while I play a round of golf with my niece. Now, tomorrow, you walk the 25 miles to my house in the woods up in the mountains, in the snow…and you’re barefoot…and we’re gonna go another 15 rounds. Bet I can beat you up.
Last edited by FUBeAR on Thu Nov 16, 2023 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #80358  by Fred Garvin
 Thu Nov 16, 2023 12:51 pm
The state of Montana was responsible for the death of Augustus McCrae. They should have never been admitted as a state.
FUBeAR liked this
 #80363  by purplehorse123
 Thu Nov 16, 2023 1:25 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2023 9:34 am
Today's Fun Fraud Facts for Football - Big Sky version...

* Montana has played in 62 Playoff games. 74% of those have been at Home. The Griz are 1-15 (.062) in Away Playoff games. ONE AND FIFTEEN!!!!

Montana State has played in 25 Playoff games. About 54% (something like that) have been at Home. The Bobcats are 1-7 (.125) in Away Playoff games. ONE AND SEVEN!!!!

Combined 2-22 (.083) in Away Playoff Games. TWO AND TWENTY-TWO!!!!

That seems pretty frappin' statistically significant.

Also saw that Furman had played 38 Playoff games. About 58% have been at Home. The Paladins are 8-8 (.500) in Away Playoff games. (Ahh...you mean how GOOD TEAMS are able to win at home and on the road...instead of relying on the location in some frozen tundra in goodness-knows-where for their competitive advantage? Yes...that's EXACTLY WHAT FUBeAR MEANS!!!)

Those really and truly are amazing stats to FUBeAR and FUBeAR now fully understands the MASSIVE efforts by Montana's and Montana State's 'bloc' to steal the #2 Seed that Furman will have EARNED with a win this Saturday.

Also - It's a shame the FCS Media / Pundits seem to be totally complicit in this effort - heck, they might even be leading it. It seems the relative size of a Team's (reachable) Fan Base might be high on their Playoff Seeding criteria list. $$$$$

FUBeAR holds out hope that the Committee, this year, will just rely on On-the-Field Results in their deliberations. Seems kinda like the thing they are supposed to do, huh?
Amazing!

I would have never guessed that M & MS had such poor playoff records on the road. Yep I will never forget our 2006 “home” playoff game loss. It was went the playoff selection show said “Furman at Montana State”. I thought that was crooked then and my confidence in the selection committee has not increased.

I am glad North Dakota State finally has to leave the Dome!

If Furman is not the # 2 seed I will call “FOUL”.
 #80369  by FUTex
 Thu Nov 16, 2023 2:55 pm
I like Montana and Montana State very much. I am biased because I love Missoula and Bozeman, and their fan base is admirable. However, they are both complicit in the death of Augustus McCrae (thanks to Fred Garvin for pointing that out), so they deserve no special treatment. Also, Ed Kemper and Ted Kaczynski are from Montana. We shouldn't coddle people like that.
 #80373  by FUBeAR
 Thu Nov 16, 2023 3:59 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2023 3:30 pm
Heard that...like it...believe it's true....but that's gonna get some...."Bucknell...Campbell...SC State...Presbyterian...Austin Peay" pushback.

Not gonna let FUBeAR's IRL Persona ReX that one. Not sure he could handle the slings and arrows. He's soft -- not tough like FUBeAR.