Sun Nov 12, 2023 9:55 am
FUBeAR just saw this pic on Twitter.

Furman should be the #1 Seed!

FU Hoopla, dornb, Roundball and 2 others liked this
 #79996  by FUBeAR
 Sun Nov 12, 2023 2:35 pm
apaladin wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2023 1:42 pm
Good info FUBear but I doubt the committee has any idea.
FUBeAR doubts the Committee HAD any idea.

When media types and Ath Dept peeps get 'engaged' in 'fighting' these facts online, which they appear to be doing, somewhat frantically (see NOTE below), the Committee Members know.

As businesses, politicians, etc., etc., etc. have learned - NEVER underestimate the power and reach of digital media.

NOTE: FUBeAR has it on good authority that The Big Sky and MVFC Conferences have hired the same Atty's PED and ADVPJD used to gain that injunction prohibiting Chatt from publishing that they were "technically," "essentially," and/or "mathematically" tied with Furman in the SoCon Standings the Week of our game. The Big Sky and MVFC are seeking to suppress this data on the grounds that is "dangerous misinformation" because it endangers 1 or more of their Teams in that they might have to fly their happy a$$e$ out from atop the Arctic Circle and play in the shadow of Paris Mountain. Gotta admit - they do have a valid point. They submitted a Furman Defensive Highlight reel to the court as evidence of their impending peril.
gman84 liked this
 #80001  by FUBeAR
 Sun Nov 12, 2023 5:42 pm
Good info in here for all of us peeps…

https://ncaaorg.s3.amazonaws.com/champi ... Manual.pdf

NCAA 2023 DIVISION I FOOTBALL CHAMPIONSHIP
PRE-CHAMPIONSHIP 2023-24 MANUAL
Last Updated Sept. 27, 2023
 #80025  by The Jackal
 Mon Nov 13, 2023 6:45 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2023 5:42 pm
Good info in here for all of us peeps…

https://ncaaorg.s3.amazonaws.com/champi ... Manual.pdf

NCAA 2023 DIVISION I FOOTBALL CHAMPIONSHIP
PRE-CHAMPIONSHIP 2023-24 MANUAL
Last Updated Sept. 27, 2023
One thing I notice in the manual is in reference to strength of schedule, it doesn't refer to a specific computer program or ranking. I cannot remember if I have read before whether the committee commits to a specific system.

Looking at the term generally, though, I think it can be a bit more subjective. Just as a thought experiment, let's look at Furman an Montana.

What we know, objectively, is Furman played an all Division 1 scholarship schedule. We know Montana did not. Let's compare strength of out of conference schedule first.

Butler
@ Utah Tech
Ferris State (D2)

Ferris State is a good D2 program, but still a D2 program. Montana struggled with them. Butler is a non scholarship Pioneer league team. Utah Tech is a new school to the FCS, but currently 2-8.

When you compare that to Furman playing South Carolina, Kennesaw State, and Tennessee Tech, I think it's a clear advantage to Furman on strength of out of conference schedule.

On in conference schedule:

This is where everything just gets really subjective, in my estimation. They are virtually no common opponents, so you have no 1:1 comparisons to make any sort of evaluation.

As I see it, both Montana and Furman played a winless team in their conference - Northern Colorado and the Citadel.

Beyond that, Montana has some wins over a decent UC Davis team and a middling Idaho State. Again, this could be akin to beating Samford and, say, ETSU. We have no way of knowing whether Samford would beat UC Davis, but they both hung around in the rankings for a bit and will likely sit on the outside of the playoff field.

Notably, Montana lost to Northern Arizona. I think this may be akin to Furman losing to VMI or something. UNA is "ok," but far from "good." Again, is VMI better than UNA? Who knows?

Montana also beat Portland State. If there's one clear difference in the schedules, it is probably that Furman will have to go through two "bad" SoCon teams (likely 0-11 Citadel and likely 1-10 Wofford) while Montana arguably played one more "meh" program like Portland State.

But then you get to the big games. Montana beat Sacramento State, Idaho, and plays Montana State this weekend.

While I realize that those three teams are technically ranked higher than Furman's wins over Mercer, UTC, and WCU, can anyone objectively say that they are better teams?

I guess this is what I keep coming back to. Yes, Idaho is higher ranked than Western Carolina, but to call Idaho a better team is just a guess. There's no objective basis for doing so.

That's why I am suspect of computer rankings. Computers don't watch the games. Even if they did, you can't draw many conclusions when the two teams don't play the same opponents.

Maybe Montana State or Sacramento State would blow the doors off Mercer and UTC. To say that, though, is just a guess. We have no idea.
 #80030  by gman84
 Mon Nov 13, 2023 8:02 am
Ferris State is our TE's former school. I think they have won the last two DII Nattys.
dornb liked this
 #80035  by The Jackal
 Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:11 am
gman84 wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2023 8:02 am
Ferris State is our TE's former school. I think they have won the last two DII Nattys.
It is and they did.

But we're back to subjectivity again. Ferris State is a good D2 program, but where would they fall in the FCS hierarchy? Again, it's just a guess.

I suppose that's my point, at some point to elevate Montana or to critique Furman, you have to just start making guesses about the quality of the opposition.

I get the impression that the committee tries to be as objective as possible. At some point, you run out of data and just have to rely on what the teams have shown you.
 #80037  by The Jackal
 Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:12 am
'Din Djarin wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:02 am
Just beat Wofford.
Correct.

The best thing Furman can do is leave no doubt in the committee's mind.

Honestly, it could be the difference in playing a road football game in Montana in December or playing at home.
'Din Djarin, dornb, bj93 liked this
 #80040  by 'Din Djarin
 Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:15 am
There will be a lot of completely hypothetical questions asked about the 1-AA playoffs this week. I'm sure many zany and unhinged responses will be given to them, but the actual answer to all of them is, "Just beat Wofford."
dornb liked this
 #80043  by fupaladin01
 Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:35 am
For what it's worth, on the FCS Fans Nation live MOCK playoff selection show last night (they try to do what they think the commitee will do), they ended up giving FU the 2 seed- though there was a good bit of discussion about it. They assumed a FU>Wofford and MT State > MT in the brawl. They seemed to all agree that MT schools were better than Furman, but that we deserved the 2 spot for being undefeated and outright conference champs. I hope the committee thinks in similar fashion.
dornb liked this
 #80047  by gman84
 Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:44 am
Based on objective facts presented by FUBeAR...FU has played all FCS games and an SEC P5 school. The same can not be said for either Montana program.
dornb liked this
 #80048  by The Jackal
 Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:52 am
gman84 wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:44 am
Based on objective facts presented by FUBeAR...FU has played all FCS games and an SEC P5 school. The same can not be said for either Montana program.
That and we haven't lost to an FCS team.

I can see an argument for the Montana schools jumping Furman, but I can also see an argument for Furman staying ahead of them.

Unless the committee is prepared to make the statement "we think the Big Sky is just that much better than the Southern Conference," then there's really not a reason to dock Furman.

Again. Beat Wofford.
dornb liked this
 #80053  by FU Hoopla
 Mon Nov 13, 2023 10:20 am
Can someone tell me when is the last time a Big Sky or MVFC team played at a SoCon venue in the playoffs?

Recent Topics

User avatar Furman at Mississippi Negative Nancy

by FUTex

Sun May 19, 2024 1:57 am

Default Avatar Roster Rebuild

by Dins&Heels

Sat May 18, 2024 6:22 pm

Default Avatar 2024 opponents

by Affirm

Sat May 18, 2024 11:04 am

User avatar PreSeason Poll

by FUBeAR

Sat May 18, 2024 4:44 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by FU Hoopla

Fri May 17, 2024 11:27 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.