• 2024 Recruiting

#83398  by FUBeAR
 Thu Dec 21, 2023 11:56 am
FUwolfpacker wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 11:06 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 10:23 am
Yeah … that kind of Offense doesn’t work anymore…obviously.
Pretty sure that’s not the point he was trying to make.
The Jackal wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 11:29 am
FUBeAR wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 9:16 am
Defenses of that time were still largely built to stop the power run game, taking on fullbacks in the hole, and defending the toss sweep.

Defenses were completely unprepared in either scheme or personnel to stop him.
You mean … like the power run game that NDSU & SDSU use?

That's not remotely what I said.
Y’all are weird.

Do you guys each take 1 Twinkie when you open the package together?

FUBeAR ain’t “said” you (Jackal..unless y’all 2 have recently merged your brains) “said” anything…other than what FUBeAR quote posted and bolded.

…which you (Jackal), obviously, did “say”…

FUBeAR was just calling out the fact that, as you (Jackal) “said,” Defenses have changed to stop the Spread … and Power Running is what, STILL, wins Championships in FCS Football.

If either or both of you are going to be so easily triggered by, um, EXACTLY NOTHING, then we might have to trade you to the WCU board. FUBeAR heard WCU95 is in the portal…maybe, since FUTex is in there also, we can make some sort of package deal :twisted:
Last edited by FUBeAR on Thu Dec 21, 2023 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #83405  by The Jackal
 Thu Dec 21, 2023 12:59 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 11:56 am
FUwolfpacker wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 11:06 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Pretty sure that’s not the point he was trying to make.
The Jackal wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
Defenses of that time were still largely built to stop the power run game, taking on fullbacks in the hole, and defending the toss sweep.

Y’all are weird.

Do you guys each take 1 Twinkie when you open the package together?

FUBeAR ain’t “said” you (Jackal..unless y’all 2 have recently merged your brains) “said” anything…other than what he quote posted and bolded.

…which you, obviously, did “say”…

FUBeAR was just calling out the fact that, as you “said,” Defenses have changed to stop the Spread … and Power Running is what, STILL, wins Championships in FCS Football.

If either or both of you are going to be so easily triggered by, um, NOTHING, then we might have to trade you to the WCU board. FUBeAR heard WCU95 is in the portal…maybe, since FUTex is in there also, we can make some sort of package deal :twisted:
You could just call it "straw man" and move on.
 #83409  by FUBeAR
 Thu Dec 21, 2023 3:01 pm
 #83414  by FUwolfpacker
 Thu Dec 21, 2023 8:12 pm
I know this is something that has been talked about on and off for years. Of the SC schools, Furman had a similar number of SC HS commits compared to the others.

#83420  by gofurman
 Fri Dec 22, 2023 2:16 am
The Jackal wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
gofurman wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 8:57 am
Bootie wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 7:46 am
Y’all who are more deep in the research than I, please tell me what you think of the QBs we have vying for the starting spot next season… what are their running capabilities?
Agree with the question - we KNOW that Huff's running ability really opened up our offense. Think Armanti Edwards for someone on the evil side... We would cover all WRs and he would find a way to get 7 yards. It terrorizes a defense to have a true dual-threat QB. Terrorizes. I recall several times huff went into scramble drill because of solid D by the opponent and possible pressure on Huff... only to see him get the first down with a great run.

I am heavily in favor of a dual-threat QB. Or at least one who will pull the ball and run 3/4 times a game

I don't get the feeling from watching that any of our current QBs are the runner that Huff was. Running is not just track speed. That helps but it is twitch and escapability. For the best ever think Barry Sanders .. jump cuts that would make you slap your mama. from what I have seen Huff had more "escapability" than those in line right now.

But I could be wrong. I hope to be wrong but Jones etc seem more drop back passers. Which - from what Jackal says - would be odd for Roper

FCS Championship game history
Season | Champion | Runner-up
2011 | NDSU | Sam Houston State
2012 | NDSU | Sam Houston State
2013 | NDSU | Towson
2014 | NDSU | Illinois State
2015 | NDSU | Jacksonville State
2016 | James Madison | Youngstown State
2017 | NDSU | James Madison
2018 | NDSU | Eastern Washington
2019 | NDSU | James Madison
2020 | Sam Houston | SDSU
2021 | NDSU | Montana State
2022 | SDSU | NDSU

App State was on the early edge of the spread/read option offensive attack in the mid-2000s. It was not widely prevalent and started to find a foothold in the college game.

Most defenses of that time were built to stop power run teams and option teams. That's what we saw a bunch in the Southern Conference. That's what Furman was built to stop. App State ran circles around us.

Over the last 20-25 years, many teams have moved to a spread offense. Defenses have changed to meet that development. Now there are some teams that are having success running more modernized versions of the old power run game. NDSU and SDSU are very good and well coached, but they, like App State of that time, are running an offense that defenses are not particularly equipped to stop from a personnel or scheme standpoint.

Furman's defense currently holds up better than most because we are both deep and versatile. We can change personnel to match a variety of offensive schemes. Some of that is necessitated because the Southern Conference - unlike 20-25 years ago - throws a lot of different offensive schemes at you week to week. Furman has had to adapt to the fact that they see a wide variety of offensive systems in conference play. That wasn't always the case.
Right. Somewhere the point got confused

Power running works now. Ndsu. SDSU. But Edwards was both a total freak and at a time when we - and most teams thus the national titles - weren’t ready for that skill set and style. So App caught everyone off guard.

I wasn’t comparing Huff to Armanti. Just mentioning how big a difference a running or elusive qb can be… a few extra third down conversions … the legitimate threat to pull the ball and go. Just think of the game winning run vs Western where WCU sold out to stop Roberto. We took advantage and Huff was gone. Need to make teams pay for putting all eyes on the rb
 #83421  by gofurman
 Fri Dec 22, 2023 2:20 am
FUwolfpacker wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2023 2:20 pm
FurmanFan23 wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2023 2:14 pm
Who is commited that hasn’t signed? Do we have a list ?
I think we are still waiting on Fredrick Logan, Max Eubanks, and maybe Jalin Edwards. Based on the list I've been keeping.
Anyhow….. so Logan and Eubanks have not signed with us or anyone ?
 #83428  by The Jackal
 Fri Dec 22, 2023 7:18 am
AstroDin wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2023 5:35 am
^^^ pretty sure Eubanks is a PWO.
Just scanning, it looks like a lot of the IMG players can be early enrollees. I'm sure a school that focuses a lot on football sees the benefit of having their players available for spring practice.

I believe Holbrook did last year as an IMG graduate.
 #83429  by The Jackal
 Fri Dec 22, 2023 7:34 am
I read up a bit on Eubanks.

He is a post graduate student at IMG. It appears he graduated from Cherokee Bluffs High School in '23 (same high school as Jayquan Smith), and then did a post grad semester at IMG in Florida. From what I can tell, there's any number of reasons why a student may opt for this route, but the general gist it seems would be to improve your prospective school either through more exposure, better grades, take the SAT again, whatever.

He looks like he had offers from some service academies and ivy league programs as a senior at CBHS.
 #83430  by The Jackal
 Fri Dec 22, 2023 7:37 am
From what I can tell, Furman has a few offers out to some of these IMG post-grad players eligible for spring '24
 #83431  by AstroDin
 Fri Dec 22, 2023 7:44 am
The Jackal wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2023 7:37 am
From what I can tell, Furman has a few offers out to some of these IMG post-grad players eligible for spring '24
I think it was the VMI game; several (4-5) IMG players attended this game. I also saw Holbrook's dad meet them in the stands and give them hugs.
 #83432  by Affirm
 Fri Dec 22, 2023 7:45 am
FUwolfpacker wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 8:12 pm
I know this is something that has been talked about on and off for years. Of the SC schools, Furman had a similar number of SC HS commits compared to the others.

Yes, I noted this about Furman’s class, with much gladness. I think 3/12 is an excellent result.
 #83433  by AstroDin
 Fri Dec 22, 2023 7:53 am
The Jackal wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2023 7:10 am
Ty is from Apex, NC; size-wise and watching his film, he looks like a perfect fit for Furman's D-Line. He's currently listed as 6-4, 260. He moves very well at his current size, I could see him growing at Furman towards the 270-280 range and playing DT or as a larger 6-4, 260 DE.