• Finally it is over!

#40049  by MidlandsPaladin
 Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:53 pm
HBCUGradFUDad wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:56 am
100% agree that it’s NOT a talent problem!! Unfortunately the transfer portal may attract a lot of this talent over the summer...
That’s what I’m afraid of. We used so few players in basically a free year of eligibility that I’m sure we have guys discouraged about their lack of PT.
bj93 liked this
 #40052  by fupaladin01
 Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:05 pm
I spoke to a Furman fan in downtown Chucktown after the game Saturday who turned out to be the father of one of our "rising stars" from a large far away state. He seemed surprised that these young playmakers weren't seen more often on the field this year and brought up the point that many of their younger counterparts were watching from their home high school programs and might get discouraged from coming all the way to Furman just to ride the bench when they could be contributing.
Reminds me of how Chris Forcier, the best athlete on our team at the time, sat on the bench for at least a year. Why our coaches are hesitant to utilize a playmaker when our starters are not making plays is beyond me.
 #40056  by Sad Din
 Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:57 pm
fupaladin01 wrote:
I spoke to a Furman fan in downtown Chucktown after the game Saturday who turned out to be the father of one of our "rising stars" from a large far away state. He seemed surprised that these young playmakers weren't seen more often on the field this year and brought up the point that many of their younger counterparts were watching from their home high school programs and might get discouraged from coming all the way to Furman just to ride the bench when they could be contributing.
Reminds me of how Chris Forcier, the best athlete on our team at the time, sat on the bench for at least a year. Why our coaches are hesitant to utilize a playmaker when our starters are not making plays is beyond me.
Forcier had a great QB in front of him. Just a big coincidence that he just happened to be the O Coord's son :o
HBCUGradFUDad liked this
 #40064  by The Jackal
 Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:40 am
Sad Din wrote:
fupaladin01 wrote:
Forcier had a great QB in front of him. Just a big coincidence that he just happened to be the O Coord's son :o

I'll say this again.

Literally no one has more at stake in winning football games than the coaches. For us, it is entertainment. For them, it is their livelihood.

They have every incentive to play the best players they can play. This coaching staff, in particular, plays a ton of players every game. If a kid isn't seeing the field, there's probably a reason.
DeepPurple liked this
 #40083  by MNORM
 Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:02 pm
Sad Din wrote:
fupaladin01 wrote:
...and apparently Forcier couldn't figure out our complicated playbook :roll:
Chuckles liked this
 #40084  by apaladin
 Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:16 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Sad Din wrote:
fupaladin01 wrote:

I'll say this again.

Literally no one has more at stake in winning football games than the coaches. For us, it is entertainment. For them, it is their livelihood.

They have every incentive to play the best players they can play. This coaching staff, in particular, plays a ton of players every game. If a kid isn't seeing the field, there's probably a reason.
Could that be a problem, literally playing too many players? All players are not equal. Just sayin’
 #40085  by The Jackal
 Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:20 pm
apaladin wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:16 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Sad Din wrote:
fupaladin01 wrote:

I'll say this again.

Could that be a problem, literally playing too many players? All players are not equal. Just sayin’

Not sure how the offense can be criticized both for playing too many players and not enough players.

Maybe the issue is not playing the right players, who happen to also be related to the complaining party?
DeepPurple liked this
 #40086  by Sad Din
 Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:59 pm
MNORM wrote:
Sad Din wrote:
fupaladin01 wrote:
Yep... all five plays. :lol:
MNORM liked this
 #40092  by The Jackal
 Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:52 pm
apaladin wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:20 pm
Forcier was the worst misuse of talent ever.
False.

Letting David Carpenter throw to Juan Uribe in game 4 of the 2013 NLDS while nursing a 1 run lead in the 8th inning and Craig Kimbrel waiting warm in the bullpen was the worst misuse of talent ever.
 #40110  by purplehorse
 Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:46 pm
Mocs123 wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:50 pm
An outsiders perspective-

While the Mocs and Coach Wright were very vocal about "playing for the fall", I don't think they were alone in that philosophy. I tend to think that Hendrix and Co. didn't put 100% in particularly after losses to VMI and Chattanooga put them out of contention for the playoffs (or at least it seemed that way at the time). My guess is that after that, the coaches kept things extra vanilla and started playing for the fall.

I tend to think things aren't as bad for several SoCon schools as their fans think right now (The Paladins are in that category), and I think there are teams that aren't really as good as their fans think they are right now. I think only one or two SoCon schools really lost this spring - Wofford where I am hearing rumblings Conklin lost the team, and Western Carolina, where they bought out Speir with 4 years left and an difficult time of year to hire a coach and staff. They'd have been better off to wait until December to fire him.

2021 probably isn't going to look like 1988 at Furman, but I do think Furman will be in contention for a SoCon championship in the fall and I think they will make the playoffs. I also tend to think Hendrix is a good coach, so I wouldn't break out the pitchforks just yet.
We were TERRIBLE this year. We were completely over-rated. Even with the Conference being “down” I predict more of the same in the fall. I don’t think we will contend and see no reason for optimism at all. We got worse during the season and lost to a 2-9 Citadel team.
apaladin, bj93 liked this
 #40113  by FUBeAR
 Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:19 am
purplehorse wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:46 pm
We were TERRIBLE this year. We were completely over-rated. Even with the Conference being “down” I predict more of the same in the fall. I don’t think we will contend and see no reason for optimism at all. We got worse during the season and lost to a 2-9 Citadel team.
Did you have to audition for this role as the host, Purplehorse? Or was submitting a sample of your work sufficient to land the part?

DeepPurple liked this
 #40136  by gofurman
 Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:13 pm
Sad Din wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:59 pm
MNORM wrote:
Sad Din wrote:
fupaladin01 wrote:
Yep... all five plays. :lol:
I always hated that - whether Forcier was better or not - the coaches said “couldn’t figure out playbook”. That is an insult to a young mans intelligence - just don’t say that. Say “he needs more reps” or something.
 #86951  by AllTimeFU
 Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:15 am
76MrMoto wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:28 am
No scholarships cannot be stacked. This was implemented several years ago when Mike B was AD .
I heard this brought up again recently. It seems like this should be revisited. What was the intent? Wouldn’t it be a way to build depth in the roster? I would imagine a good number of of the players fall into this conflict of receiving academic money, but prohibited from receiving athletic money. Why would we tie the hands of the football program like this? Consistently competing at the highest level may require changing some internal policy thinking.