• Finally it is over!

#39973  by The Jackal
 Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:32 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:39 am
Umpire failed to pick #11 off of covering #19, as he should have. Dang SoCon Officials cost us again!
For comparisons sake, here's what the Citadel looks like on a 4th and short.

#39974  by The Jackal
 Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:44 pm
I still don't think everything is lost, though.

Here, the Citadel had the pass covered. In fact, the MLB basically bear hugs our TE. Sisson quickly looks at two or three options and then decides to run it. I don't hate the play.

The guy that makes the tackle is the free rusher the TB attempts to pick up. Not great positioning, takes him too far in the backfield, and lets him get inside.

Sisson would have no idea that guy is there. He runs through progressions, tucks and runs where he knows there is a lane (or should be). We don't get a good block on the outside rusher, who easily makes the tackle. That should have been a 4 or 5 yard gain.

Is this a talent problem or a speed problem? I don't think so. It's an execution problem.
 #39976  by Fred Garvin
 Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:56 pm
864-294-2120

Tracy will answer the phone. Make an appointment and discuss your frustrations in person. If you don't have the testicular fortitude to do it then step away from the keyboard and go check on the vegetarian quiche you have in the oven.
Sir William, DeepPurple liked this
 #39980  by Paladin91
 Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:38 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:44 pm
I still don't think everything is lost, though.

Here, the Citadel had the pass covered. In fact, the MLB basically bear hugs our TE. Sisson quickly looks at two or three options and then decides to run it. I don't hate the play.

The guy that makes the tackle is the free rusher the TB attempts to pick up. Not great positioning, takes him too far in the backfield, and lets him get inside.

Sisson would have no idea that guy is there. He runs through progressions, tucks and runs where he knows there is a lane (or should be). We don't get a good block on the outside rusher, who easily makes the tackle. That should have been a 4 or 5 yard gain.

Is this a talent problem or a speed problem? I don't think so. It's an execution problem.
Definitely a talent, speed, and execution problem. The second that the end rusher overcommitted and left the lane open, HS should have taken off - the whole left side of the field is open. 1) He waited too long 2) Greater speed and he would have evaded the sack and been halfway down the field.
 #39982  by Mocs123
 Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:50 pm
An outsiders perspective-

While the Mocs and Coach Wright were very vocal about "playing for the fall", I don't think they were alone in that philosophy. I tend to think that Hendrix and Co. didn't put 100% in particularly after losses to VMI and Chattanooga put them out of contention for the playoffs (or at least it seemed that way at the time). My guess is that after that, the coaches kept things extra vanilla and started playing for the fall.

I tend to think things aren't as bad for several SoCon schools as their fans think right now (The Paladins are in that category), and I think there are teams that aren't really as good as their fans think they are right now. I think only one or two SoCon schools really lost this spring - Wofford where I am hearing rumblings Conklin lost the team, and Western Carolina, where they bought out Speir with 4 years left and an difficult time of year to hire a coach and staff. They'd have been better off to wait until December to fire him.

2021 probably isn't going to look like 1988 at Furman, but I do think Furman will be in contention for a SoCon championship in the fall and I think they will make the playoffs. I also tend to think Hendrix is a good coach, so I wouldn't break out the pitchforks just yet.
gman84, DeepPurple liked this
 #39983  by Affirm
 Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:52 pm
Fred Garvin wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:56 pm
864-294-2120

Tracy will answer the phone. Make an appointment and discuss your frustrations in person. If you don't have the testicular fortitude to do it then step away from the keyboard and go check on the vegetarian quiche you have in the oven.
What’s the UFFP for?
apaladin liked this
 #40000  by apaladin
 Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:41 pm
Mocs123 wrote:

While the Mocs and Coach Wright were very vocal about "playing for the fall", I don't think they were alone in that philosophy. I tend to think that Hendrix and Co. didn't put 100% in particularly after losses to VMI and Chattanooga put them out of contention for the playoffs (or at least it seemed that way at the time). My guess is that after that, the coaches kept things extra vanilla and started playing for the fall.

I tend to think things aren't as bad for several SoCon schools as their fans think right now (The Paladins are in that category), and I think there are teams that aren't really as good as their fans think they are right now. I think only one or two SoCon schools really lost this spring - Wofford where I am hearing rumblings Conklin lost the team, and Western Carolina, where they bought out Speir with 4 years left and an difficult time of year to hire a coach and staff. They'd have been better off to wait until December to fire him.

2021 probably isn't going to look like 1988 at Furman, but I do think Furman will be in contention for a SoCon championship in the fall and I think they will make the playoffs. I also tend to think Hendrix is a good coach, so I wouldn't break out the pitchforks just yet.
Mocs123, I like your perspective but I think you would find it hard to find a FU fan that thinks the Paladins will contend for anything in the fall except the basement. I certainly hope you are right.
 #40002  by Furmanoid
 Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:43 pm
Seems like if Mocs123 were correct, we would have sat older guys more than we did. I would think that if you weren’t going 100%, it would be a matter of sitting people. If you play them but tell them not to try hard they get hurt and you should be fired.
 #40010  by Thorny
 Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:33 pm
If we were just going through the motions you would think a smart coach would emphasize consistency and execution (of course the mocs didn't look particularly disciplined...).

I'm not sure who the O-line was saving themselves for given most of them are graduating.

Furman CAN compete. Before the wheels came off the buss we lost to the SoCon champ by 2, beat a 1 loss ETSU team by 4, and lost to arguably the third best team in the conference in Chattanooga by 2.

If we could have just been able to run the ball we might be conference champs right now.
 #40013  by Olcoach
 Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:55 pm
Still have faith in Clay. Good football coach. Maybe things would have been better if the QB hadn't transferred to Georgia St. The lack of talent at QB, combined with the worst offensive line I can remember at FU, must be fixed. Hopefully there are some young lineman waiting in the wings.
 #40029  by The Jackal
 Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:34 am
apaladin wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:41 pm
Mocs123 wrote:

Mocs123, I like your perspective but I think you would find it hard to find a FU fan that thinks the Paladins will contend for anything in the fall except the basement. I certainly hope you are right.

I think we'll contend.

Our defense is quite good and likely will be better again next year. I think our defense alone is going to keep us in every football game.

Our offense was a hot mess, and while other's disagree with me, I don't believe it's a talent problem. I believe our coaches weren't able to fix the problems during the season and our players were struggling to execute the offense. I think that is all fixable.
 #40031  by HBCUGradFUDad
 Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:56 am
100% agree that it’s NOT a talent problem!! Unfortunately the transfer portal may attract a lot of this talent over the summer...
 #40032  by FUBeAR
 Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:25 am
HBCUGradFUDad wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:56 am
100% agree that it’s NOT a talent problem!! Unfortunately the transfer portal may attract a lot of this talent over the summer...
Risky business, that Transfer Portal seems to be...

https://www.si.com/college/2021/02/02/ ... rtal-covid

As Broad NCAA Change Awaits, College Football Is Facing a Recruiting Reckoning - Amid pending legislation on one-time transfers and athlete compensation, the transfer portal is exploding. But is there room for everyone to find a destination?
FU3 liked this

Recent Topics

User avatar Roster Rebuild...

by apaladin

Mon May 06, 2024 10:47 pm

User avatar Transfer Portal (Furman and Others of Note)

by FUBeAR

Mon May 06, 2024 6:29 pm

Default Avatar Furman at Mississippi Negative Nancy

by Furmanoid

Mon May 06, 2024 1:37 pm

User avatar 2024 opponents

by apaladin

Mon May 06, 2024 1:11 pm

Default Avatar New Lax Coach

by Sad Din

Mon May 06, 2024 11:40 am

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.