• Finally it is over!

#39893  by Furmanoid
 Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:40 am
gman84 wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:06 am
FormerFUCoach wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:14 pm
What’s wrong is that you can’t stack scholarships any longer. Meaning you can’t get an athletic scholarship and an academic scholarship. The coaches aren’t able to make attractive offers to student/athletes.
I have heard this recently as well. So a $70k tuition creates a huge recruiting obstacle.
I still don’t get why this is a huge impediment. We can give out 63 full ( $70k) scholarships. If we choose to do something like 50 full and 26 half, the 26 have to be rich kids. I get that. But couldn’t I get 3 good receivers with some of those 40 full scholarships?
 #39896  by curiousfan
 Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:09 am
That’s funny...what I have noticed is our WR do not separate when running any routes...the only effective routes we have are mesh concept/crossing routes (possession WR routes). We do need to get WRs that can take the roof off the top and not allow teams to play 8 in the box.

FU3 wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:11 pm
Not buying that we don’t have receivers. No one respects our run game and we run mostly 2 man routes because our pass blocking gets eaten alive by blitzes and stunts. Our QB isn’t particularly accurate ( who can blame him for having happy feet) and holds the ball too long.
 #39897  by curiousfan
 Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:14 am
I’m not giving the QB position a pass. We have plays that are designed as QB options to run....our QB really is NOT a running threat....and he is not very accurate....we need another QB...but on the flip side, I agree, the OLine was/is porous and needs to be revamped as well...get us a mobile transfer that can also throw and that will allow us to open the playbook more as well.
fufanatic wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:12 am
Thorny wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:36 pm
apaladin wrote:
Thorny wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:02 pm
I'm still willing to defend QB play.

We've lost the ability to recruit WRs for several years now and our farely mature O-line can't make holes for the running game or consistently protect the QB.

Even if QB play was exceptional not much good would be happening given the pieces around them.
Just don’t see how you can defend today. 6-24, that is 25% completion. Granted he didn’t have a lot of help but he missed enough to have a decent percentage. He just does not look comfortable at all. I see no upside.
Given the season why the hell would he look comfortable?

Also, while he has made plenty of risky throws, I wouldn't be surprised if the coaches are telling him to risk it because there is no bloody way we are moving the ball down the field otherwise.

Furman cannot win without being able to run the ball. If we can't run the ball and our QB is considering signing a prenup given the amount of time the opposing DE spends on top of him how the hell is he supposed to gain confidence?

I just don't see a world where our problems started with QB play. Our QB is good enough to win the conference in this system. The problem is the system isn't working because we can't run the ball in a run based system, half the time our QB is running for his life when we do throw it, and he can hit the WRs in the #s and they still drop. I'm not saying he is barn burner but the O-line at the very least has to support the running game or the passing game, preferably both. Right now neither is happening.
I think I agree with you. Having watched every game, I really don’t see a way to not start the conversation with the oline. Zero movement for running, zero time for passing. Other elements obviously need work too, but until our OL guru of a HC can get that part figured out, I’m not sure how there can be improvement on offense. We scored 13, 17, 18, 14, 7 in 5 of our 7 games. That’s not going to win many games unless you can transport the team back to the 1920s.
bj93 liked this
 #39899  by fu77fan
 Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:58 am
Lots of memories from the season .....

1.) The play in the VMI game where the snap from center hits Deluca in n the backfield.
2.) The blocked punt yesterday.
3.)The failure to cover the kickoff yesterday.
4.)Having 4th and inches on the goal line yesterday and us not having enough confidence in our running game that we choose to pass.
5.) Having several first and goal within the 5 yard line this season and us not being able to score.
6.) Having the QB getting sacked.
7.) Having the QB running for his life and throwing an interception.
 #39904  by apaladin
 Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:26 pm
I have been watching Furman football since the football for fun bunch in the late 60’s and even before then. At the end of the season regardless of how the season went I always had hope for the next season and looked forward to the next season. I can honestly say this is the first time in those 50+ years I am not looking forward to the 2021 season and that is much more disturbing to me than this disappointing sprng season. The defense can play winning football but the offense can’t. There has always been hope but I can see no reason for optimism or hope with this offense. It is absolutely the worst I have ever seen as a long time fan.
purplehorse liked this
 #39909  by Paladin91
 Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:55 pm
It was really sad watching this team yesterday - there has been absolutely zero improvement over this short season. Very little in terms of coaching adjustments. QB and OL play - just horrid - worst I've seen since watching FU football as a student in the 80s. Tons of missed blocks on the offensive side of the ball. The whole program is a mess .

It was pretty much a given that Drew Cronic would put a whoopin on FU in his first year as Mercer's coach. This is the guy that should have been at the helm and was responsible for the turnaround under Hendrix. Unfortunately, expect little change without a full-scale coaching change. Don't see things getting better.
bj93 liked this
 #39910  by fufanatic
 Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:08 pm
Paladin91 wrote:
It was really sad watching this team yesterday - there has been absolutely zero improvement over this short season. Very little in terms of coaching adjustments. QB and OL play - just horrid - worst I've seen since watching FU football as a student in the 80s. Tons of missed blocks on the offensive side of the ball. The whole program is a mess .

It was pretty much a given that Drew Cronic would put a whoopin on FU in his first year as Mercer's coach. This is the guy that should have been at the helm and was responsible for the turnaround under Hendrix. Unfortunately, expect little change without a full-scale coaching change. Don't see things getting better.
I mean I believe you might be right, but never heard of a program firing a successful first year head coach for the O coordinator to keep said coordinator from leaving for a D2 head coach job.
 #39911  by fufanatic
 Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:12 pm
I just can’t get over the OL situation. That’s CCH’s specialty. 40 years of highly successful coaching and playing experience. He’s an expert. I’m at a complete loss of what’s happened there. You don’t just forget how to coach or recruit elite talent. I would be so much more hopeful for the future if that area was elite and we needed to add more talent around them.
 #39912  by Paladin91
 Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:17 pm
fufanatic wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:08 pm
Paladin91 wrote:

I mean I believe you might be right, but never heard of a program firing a successful first year head coach for the O coordinator to keep said coordinator from leaving for a D2 head coach job.
True, but CH failed to find a competent replacement OC. That's his job. How anemic has the offense become since DC's departure. Our OC is also our QB coach - both playcalling and QB play has continued to regress. I'd also say our special teams and WR play is second rate - poor recruiting. Ryan Miller at TE was the only semi-bright spot.
fufanatic liked this
 #39955  by gofurman
 Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:48 am
Furmanoid wrote:
gman84 wrote:
FormerFUCoach wrote:
What’s wrong is that you can’t stack scholarships any longer. Meaning you can’t get an athletic scholarship and an academic scholarship. The coaches aren’t able to make attractive offers to student/athletes.
I have heard this recently as well. So a $70k tuition creates a huge recruiting obstacle.
I still don’t get why this is a huge impediment. We can give out 63 full ( $70k) scholarships. If we choose to do something like 50 full and 26 half, the 26 have to be rich kids. I get that. But couldn’t I get 3 good receivers with some of those 40 full scholarships?
this would be a huge impediment.. H U G E. While other programs could get 50 full-ride kids and 26 pretty good possibilities our 26 half scholarship players would have to he paying 30K.. It would be 50 v 70 for all intents and purposes.

Can someone confirm if this is true - Can we stack scholarships or not ? Thank you in advanc !
 #39965  by 76MrMoto
 Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:28 am
No scholarships cannot be stacked. This was implemented several years ago when Mike B was AD .
 #39966  by The Jackal
 Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:27 am
fufanatic wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:12 pm
I just can’t get over the OL situation. That’s CCH’s specialty. 40 years of highly successful coaching and playing experience. He’s an expert. I’m at a complete loss of what’s happened there. You don’t just forget how to coach or recruit elite talent. I would be so much more hopeful for the future if that area was elite and we needed to add more talent around them.

This is where I get confused with what's going on. There are a few plays I've reviewed a number of times.

Here's a 4th and 1 play from the goal line.

To me, these sorts of plays highlight the coaching and execution problem.

The set up and personnel signals to the Citadel we probably aren't running the ball at them - our big power back (Roberto, I think) is lined up on the wing. Anderson, the TB, is 7 yards deep and is typically a pass catcher (Anderson averages more receiving yards a game than rushing yards). Deluca, who frequently is a target on crossing routes, is lined up to the left.

If I'm Citadel's DC - I'm looking at a goal line situation, I see a receiving back in the backfield, the power guy is lined up outside next to the TE. The left side of Furman's formation has two WRs and two OLs. Everything here is signaling the play is going to the right and likely a pass. Our play calling, to this point in the season, also signals that when we need yards on a 3rd or 4th down, we are going to try to hit a crossing route.

The play has just about everyone but the RB blocking to the left. The issue there is that the stacked MLB, stacked behind the NT, is keyed on Anderson. He'll be running whichever direction Anderson goes.

So, immediately off the snap, the Bulldog defense has numbers. The RG takes the easier block on the NT, the LB sees Anderson run to the right, so he heads that direction too. Furman now has three guys - RT, TE, and RB - to block the Citadel's 5. One of those 5 will have Anderson out of the backfield. We go on to miss a block up front anyway, so now 2 guys are blocking 5. I'm not sure if the TE was supposed to go for a pass or not. It ends up essentially being RB trying to hold out the Citadel's defense by his lonesome.

This isn't to "call out" anyone, but when you are as historically inept on offense as we've been, I think trying to figure out "why" is therapeutic. At least for me.

1. The formation and personnel helped eliminate a lot of what Furman could be doing on this play, in my opinion. It's much easier to play defense when we're essentially telegraphing what we are likely doing.

2. The blocking scheme all but guarantees Citadel will have more men than we have to block them.

3. Even as designed, the play was not well executed.
 #39967  by FUBeAR
 Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:39 am
Umpire failed to pick #11 off of covering #19, as he should have. Dang SoCon Officials cost us again!
 #39971  by Furmanoid
 Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:10 pm
gofurman wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:48 am
Furmanoid wrote:
gman84 wrote:
FormerFUCoach wrote:
this would be a huge impediment.. H U G E. While other programs could get 50 full-ride kids and 26 pretty good possibilities our 26 half scholarship players would have to he paying 30K.. It would be 50 v 70 for all intents and purposes.

Can someone confirm if this is true - Can we stack scholarships or not ? Thank you in advanc !
Impediment for sure, but huge impediment? It could hurt our bench-clearing brawl performance, but 63 full scholarship guys plus walk-ons would probably still give you 80 guys or so. Or we can give partials to upper middle class kids. Seems like anti-stacking rules just keep us from using partials to get good football players who are capable of legitimately winning FU academic scholarships. Is that small pool of kids really a game changer when the 50 or so guys who are going to get all the playing time are on full scholarship anyway? And maybe the $4.4M in fb scholarships is about as much as we need to be spending. Grabbing at the limited academic scholarships might be a bit much.

Anyway, the rule was changed again in 2020 so you can stack away as long as the academic scholarships go to decent students. Need based aid is also exempted.

Recent Topics

User avatar Roster Rebuild...

by apaladin

Mon May 06, 2024 10:47 pm

User avatar Transfer Portal (Furman and Others of Note)

by FUBeAR

Mon May 06, 2024 6:29 pm

Default Avatar Furman at Mississippi Negative Nancy

by Furmanoid

Mon May 06, 2024 1:37 pm

User avatar 2024 opponents

by apaladin

Mon May 06, 2024 1:11 pm

Default Avatar New Lax Coach

by Sad Din

Mon May 06, 2024 11:40 am

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.