• Finally it is over!

#39855  by Sad Din
 Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:44 pm
fufanatic wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:48 pm
I agree something has to change, but I don’t know how you can make a lot of coaching moves in April and expect there to be big improvement by September. One thing I just realized. No spring practice, so the next time the guys will be putting on the pads will be 30 days before first game. Doesn’t give me a lot of hope.
Heres how SD sees it.
The defense played well. The D Coord was a relative newbie
The offense was not good. The O coord was a seasoned HS coach

Assuming that they dont recruit better on defense than offense, what conclusion can you reach?

Its fowler sorrells deja vu all over again
bj93, QCGlue liked this
 #39857  by Thorny
 Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:55 pm
FU3 wrote:Not buying that we don’t have receivers. No one respects our run game and we run mostly 2 man routes because our pass blocking gets eaten alive by blitzes and stunts. Our QB isn’t particularly accurate ( who can blame him for having happy feet) and holds the ball too long.
I'm not saying we don't but for the last several seasons it has certainly not looked like the coaches were able to get who they wanted. WR commits just keep falling out and we are making up for it with transfers. Something is a miss there.
 #39859  by FormerFUCoach
 Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:14 pm
What’s wrong is that you can’t stack scholarships any longer. Meaning you can’t get an athletic scholarship and an academic scholarship. The coaches aren’t able to make attractive offers to student/athletes.
SidBreamScores liked this
 #39861  by Furmanoid
 Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:26 pm
FormerFUCoach wrote:
What’s wrong is that you can’t stack scholarships any longer. Meaning you can’t get an athletic scholarship and an academic scholarship. The coaches aren’t able to make attractive offers to student/athletes.
So you mean our guys are on partial scholarships?
 #39862  by Sad Din
 Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:33 pm
FormerFUCoach wrote:
SD dont buy it. Last year Dins had #2 recruiting class behind James Mad
 #39863  by apaladin
 Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:47 pm
Sad Din wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:54 pm
and another thing... Dins went an entire season without playing one other QB. Not one play.

Come oooooon!?
We don’t have any other QB’s, thats the problem. The only backup is a walkon redshirt junior who prolly won’t be on the team come August so whats the point? He did play today and against WCU. Not being able to recruit QB’s is biting us in the butt now. We have a takented kid coming in but its my understanding not much of a passer. With our OL I hope he can take the hits.
bj93 liked this
 #39866  by purplehorse
 Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:58 pm
There is a problem when Citadel has beaten us 5 of the last 7 years. That is embarrassing.

I know our offense is bad and keeps our D on the field but defense gave up 7 of 17 3rd down conversions and 2 of 4 on 4th down. And we knew they were going to run every time. I don’t think our defense is as good as some think.
bj93 liked this
 #39867  by Furmanoid
 Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:06 pm
About the WR thing. Dejuan isn’t exactly slow. In HS he caught lots of deep TD passes. But I really don’t think this QB can make the throws his HS QB was making. I’m pretty sure he can’t. So you can have good receivers but if only half of the patterns are usable they are wasted.
Sad Din, bj93, QCGlue liked this
 #39869  by apaladin
 Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:22 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:06 pm
About the WR thing. Dejuan isn’t exactly slow. In HS he caught lots of deep TD passes. But I really don’t think this QB can make the throws his HS QB was making. I’m pretty sure he can’t. So you can have good receivers but if only half of the patterns are usable they are wasted.
Bell hardly plays except on kicks snd an occasional end around. I think he still has singke digit career catches. Is this another coaching thing?
bj93 liked this
 #39871  by FurmAlum
 Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:42 pm
It seems to me that except for the Western game, our offensive line was getting whipped at the line of scrimmage. And these are same guys as last year except for 1.

Runs went nowhere a lot of the time and almost every time the QB goes back to pass he's got guys all over him.

We made no attempt today to get the ball in space to any of our speed guys, Bell, Thomas, Anderson. Last week Hughes made a couple good catches and looked like he had some speed and we didn't even see him today.

I would like some of the more knowledgeable football peeps on here to comment on this since I know nothing.
 #39875  by apaladin
 Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:02 pm
Thorny wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:02 pm
I'm still willing to defend QB play.

We've lost the ability to recruit WRs for several years now and our farely mature O-line can't make holes for the running game or consistently protect the QB.

Even if QB play was exceptional not much good would be happening given the pieces around them.
Just don’t see how you can defend today. 6-24, that is 25% completion. Granted he didn’t have a lot of help but he missed enough to have a decent percentage. He just does not look comfortable at all. I see no upside.
 #39878  by Thorny
 Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:36 pm
apaladin wrote:
Thorny wrote:

We've lost the ability to recruit WRs for several years now and our farely mature O-line can't make holes for the running game or consistently protect the QB.

Even if QB play was exceptional not much good would be happening given the pieces around them.
Just don’t see how you can defend today. 6-24, that is 25% completion. Granted he didn’t have a lot of help but he missed enough to have a decent percentage. He just does not look comfortable at all. I see no upside.
Given the season why the hell would he look comfortable?

Also, while he has made plenty of risky throws, I wouldn't be surprised if the coaches are telling him to risk it because there is no bloody way we are moving the ball down the field otherwise.

Furman cannot win without being able to run the ball. If we can't run the ball and our QB is considering signing a prenup given the amount of time the opposing DE spends on top of him how the hell is he supposed to gain confidence?

I just don't see a world where our problems started with QB play. Our QB is good enough to win the conference in this system. The problem is the system isn't working because we can't run the ball in a run based system, half the time our QB is running for his life when we do throw it, and he can hit the WRs in the #s and they still drop. I'm not saying he is barn burner but the O-line at the very least has to support the running game or the passing game, preferably both. Right now neither is happening.
Davemeister, Stumpy, QCGlue and 1 others liked this
 #39888  by gman84
 Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:06 am
FormerFUCoach wrote:
I have heard this recently as well. So a $70k tuition creates a huge recruiting obstacle.
 #39889  by fufanatic
 Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:12 am
Thorny wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:36 pm
apaladin wrote:
Thorny wrote:

Given the season why the hell would he look comfortable?

Also, while he has made plenty of risky throws, I wouldn't be surprised if the coaches are telling him to risk it because there is no bloody way we are moving the ball down the field otherwise.

Furman cannot win without being able to run the ball. If we can't run the ball and our QB is considering signing a prenup given the amount of time the opposing DE spends on top of him how the hell is he supposed to gain confidence?

I just don't see a world where our problems started with QB play. Our QB is good enough to win the conference in this system. The problem is the system isn't working because we can't run the ball in a run based system, half the time our QB is running for his life when we do throw it, and he can hit the WRs in the #s and they still drop. I'm not saying he is barn burner but the O-line at the very least has to support the running game or the passing game, preferably both. Right now neither is happening.
I think I agree with you. Having watched every game, I really don’t see a way to not start the conversation with the oline. Zero movement for running, zero time for passing. Other elements obviously need work too, but until our OL guru of a HC can get that part figured out, I’m not sure how there can be improvement on offense. We scored 13, 17, 18, 14, 7 in 5 of our 7 games. That’s not going to win many games unless you can transport the team back to the 1920s.

Recent Topics

User avatar Roster Rebuild...

by apaladin

Mon May 06, 2024 10:47 pm

User avatar Transfer Portal (Furman and Others of Note)

by FUBeAR

Mon May 06, 2024 6:29 pm

Default Avatar Furman at Mississippi Negative Nancy

by Furmanoid

Mon May 06, 2024 1:37 pm

User avatar 2024 opponents

by apaladin

Mon May 06, 2024 1:11 pm

Default Avatar New Lax Coach

by Sad Din

Mon May 06, 2024 11:40 am

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.