• Clemson game thread

#2474  by saltyshaker
 Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:13 pm
years ago we were coming off a national championship,with a returning starting qb.i honestly thought we had a chance.we fumbled the 1st 3 times we touched the ball.thanks to a great defense we only trailed 10-0 at the half.and lost 30-0.last time I,ve ever been to Clemson for a game or ever will be.
 #2478  by furman88
 Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:55 pm
Yes remember it well, ole Danny almost lost his mind the first half. Think he ran out of cuss words. Depth and mistakes took its toll second half.
 #2494  by Flagman
 Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:17 am
While going through some cabinets looking for my Death Dealer DVD, I came across quite a few VHS tapes of past football games. It looks like I have most of the '88 season, including a highlight film of every game in '88. It included references to Clay Hendrix (assistant coach) and George Quarles (senior) along with Quarles catch against Marshall for a TD (his only TD catch of his career). I plan to show it to the players when they come for dinner on the 11th.
FUBeAR, fufanatic, FUKA61 and 4 others liked this
 #2534  by fupaladin01
 Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:39 pm
I’d like to see us move the ball and score at least 2/3 possessions. We’ll struggle to stop them, but if our D can make the Clemson O work for their yards, we can burn clock. Halftime- 31-6.
After a second half TD and FG, Dabo pulls his starters and FU can hang a TD or even two on the second team. Assuming no turnovers, could be a respectable score.
Final: 48-23
Of course, if either teams young QB throws 2+ interceptions, things either get ugly or interesting...
Flagman liked this
 #2742  by The Jackal
 Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:32 am
Greatest defense in NCAA history apparently got rung up in their first scrimmage. https://www.postandcourier.com/sports/b ... d6426.html

I like seeing words like "lack of discipline" and "inconsistent" and "50 yard run"

I realize its a scrimmage, but I like knowing that Clemson may be a team that are unbeatable in their own minds. Sounds like a group where they have a lot of swagger, but get after them and they start losing focus and fighting with one another.
Bootie liked this
 #2761  by soconjohn
 Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:49 pm
I think it's simple...Furman needs to just go play and have fun and see what happens...That's what these games are about with (FBS) anyway...Yes we all know Clemson is good...We get the fact that they have a bunch of great athletes...Furman coaching staff won't and shouldn't have to motivate the team for this one...No matter what the score is, Furman is going to be trouble in the SoCon this year....You can count on it.
Bootie, Flagman, dornb and 2 others liked this
 #2775  by Fred Garvin
 Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:32 am
A noble effort to win the tailgate will occur in the lot behind LF of DUNG KLINGSMORE Field.....a strong turnout of men poised to give a full speed effort is expected....
FUBeAR liked this
 #2808  by Paul C
 Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:08 am
Todd McShay, ESPN's draft "guru" just released his Top 32 for next spring's NFL draft.

#4 - Dexter Lawrence, Clemson, DT
#5 - Christian Wilkins, Clemson, DT
#11 - Clelin Ferrell, Clemson, DE

I will continue to say that this is by far the most talented D-line (and defense) we've ever faced. And we have a first year starter at QB. My point? Not to extrapolate any negativity from what might be an offense that struggles mightily.
 #2809  by Fred Garvin
 Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:23 am
Paul C wrote:
Todd McShay, ESPN's draft "guru" just released his Top 32 for next spring's NFL draft.

I will continue to say that this is by far the most talented D-line (and defense) we've ever faced. And we have a first year starter at QB. My point? Not to extrapolate any negativity from what might be an offense that struggles mightily.
Knees are an attractive thing to an aggressive but outsized OL......not trying to be Mr Sunshine but I fully expect a GT style blocking scheme.....we will get after them like a 3 legged cat trying to bury a turd !
AstroDin, FUBeAR, furman88 and 1 others liked this
 #2811  by FUBeAR
 Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:28 pm
Fred Garvin wrote:
Paul C wrote:

Knees are an attractive thing to an aggressive but outsized OL......not trying to be Mr Sunshine but I fully expect a GT style blocking scheme.....we will get after them like a 3 legged cat trying to bury a turd !
...on a frozen lake.

Yep - I expect to see those NFL Prospects to try to protect their money early against what Mr. Garvin has described. They will be visibly ‘crying’ to the Officials on the 1st couple of series. And, if they don’t get their desired relief, they will ‘check out’ by the 2nd quarter with ‘groin tightness’ or some similar malady as they expect their understudies to handle their ‘light work.’

Watch for it.
Jasper liked this
 #2814  by Jasper
 Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:33 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:28 pm
Fred Garvin wrote:
Paul C wrote:

...on a frozen lake.

Yep - I expect to see those NFL Prospects to try to protect their money early against what Mr. Garvin has described. They will be visibly ‘crying’ to the Officials on the 1st couple of series. And, if they don’t get their desired relief, they will ‘check out’ by the 2nd quarter with ‘groin tightness’ or some similar malady as they expect their understudies to handle their ‘light work.’

Watch for it.
Man, I am going to have the old binocs on the O line from the first snap. I never thought of this but it sure makes sense. I would love to see their NFL line pull a "jadaveon clowney" in this game.
 #2816  by The Jackal
 Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:13 pm
Clemson is also AT Texas A&M the next week. They may well be looking past this one.

It's a 12:20 kick. It'll be hot. We're in good shape and our boys are going to get after them.
 #2899  by apaladin
 Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:55 pm
FWIW-long range forecast is Sunny and 90 degrees for a high.
 #2947  by fupaladin01
 Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:55 pm
Having never played ball myself, I look at the difference in size between our OL and Clemson's DL and wonder how the heck we are going to create any type of hole whatsoever. Do any of y'all think we can run the ball against them? I know with a big, slow, no-overly-bright group like we may have faced from OVC or other SoCon teams we compensate with technique, speed, etc, but Clemson's guys are big, fast, and well-coached. I really don't want this game to be over in 8 minutes. Is there any optimism to be had?
 #2949  by Bootie
 Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:41 pm
fupaladin01 wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:55 pm
Having never played ball myself, I look at the difference in size between our OL and Clemson's DL and wonder how the heck we are going to create any type of hole whatsoever. Do any of y'all think we can run the ball against them? I know with a big, slow, no-overly-bright group like we may have faced from OVC or other SoCon teams we compensate with technique, speed, etc, but Clemson's guys are big, fast, and well-coached. I really don't want this game to be over in 8 minutes. Is there any optimism to be had?
There is always optimism to be had. Big = slow, small = fast. Size and mass is sometimes an asset, but sometimes a liability. The universe is about balance, and every asset has an off-setting liability to be exploited. There have been many games where we were out-sized and moved the ball well, and even won the game.

Edited to add I've never played football, but I still think it's all accurate :D
Last edited by Bootie on Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Roster Rebuild

by Dins&Heels

Sat May 18, 2024 6:22 pm

Default Avatar 2024 opponents

by Affirm

Sat May 18, 2024 11:04 am

User avatar PreSeason Poll

by FUBeAR

Sat May 18, 2024 4:44 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by FU Hoopla

Fri May 17, 2024 11:27 pm

User avatar 100 DAYS

by apaladin

Fri May 17, 2024 10:28 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.