• Clemson game thread

#2413  by Paul C
 Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:56 pm
First up the #1/#2 Tigers.

Fantastic defense. Maybe the best defense we've ever faced. Lots of talent on offense.

They've demolished the FCS foes they've played recently

2017 - beat Citadel 61-3
2016 - beat SC St 59-0
2015 - beat Wofford 49-10

While I'm pretty sure we're better than the '17 Bulldogs or the '16 other Bulldogs, this will be a tough matchup. Vegas initally has the line set at Clemson -42.5

Of course the goal of the TEAM should, and will be, to win. From a fan perspective I'm just hoping to play well, not let it get out of hand, and show them we can play ball. I'd like to see us put some points on the board and stop them a few times when we are on D in the first half. Anything like 21-3 or better at H would be a huge W. And then anything better than the Wofford result above would please me as the final result.
AstroDin liked this
 #2421  by AlValonge
 Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:58 pm
I am lucid enough to understand that the outcome of this game will not likely be in our favor. However, I would love to see us look crisp on offense and score 14+ points against that defense (subs or not). We will be breaking in a new QB and need to ride the momentum into the season. Clemson's defense will be stifling and they will be looking for the big play so we have to make some plays through the air.
 #2424  by apaladin
 Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:33 pm
Not to be too dramatic but this will be the best team Furman has ever played. I am pretty sure we have never played a #1 or #2 FBS team.
 #2425  by The Jackal
 Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:14 pm
Paul C wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:56 pm
First up the #1/#2 Tigers.

Fantastic defense. Maybe the best defense we've ever faced. Lots of talent on offense.

They've demolished the FCS foes they've played recently

2017 - beat Citadel 61-3
2016 - beat SC St 59-0
2015 - beat Wofford 49-10

While I'm pretty sure we're better than the '17 Bulldogs or the '16 other Bulldogs, this will be a tough matchup. Vegas initally has the line set at Clemson -42.5

Of course the goal of the TEAM should, and will be, to win. From a fan perspective I'm just hoping to play well, not let it get out of hand, and show them we can play ball. I'd like to see us put some points on the board and stop them a few times when we are on D in the first half. Anything like 21-3 or better at H would be a huge W. And then anything better than the Wofford result above would please me as the final result.
To be honest, Clemson’s offensive output against the Citadel last year wasn’t too far off of what we did to them in Greenville.

Game plan in these games always remains the same - control the ball, shorten the game, hang around, don’t turn it over, and duck the haymakers.
 #2426  by The Jackal
 Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:18 pm
apaladin wrote:
Not to be too dramatic but this will be the best team Furman has ever played. I am pretty sure we have never played a #1 or #2 FBS team.
They’ve literally done nothing in 2018 to deserve the accolade of “best team Furman has played.”

Good time to remember up until September 1, 2007, everyone thought Michigan was a top 5 team too.
cavedweller2 liked this
 #2429  by fufanatic
 Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:20 am
The Jackal wrote:
apaladin wrote:
They’ve literally done nothing in 2018 to deserve the accolade of “best team Furman has played.”

Good time to remember up until September 1, 2007, everyone thought Michigan was a top 5 team too.
I think mentioning '07 Michigan in the same breathe as a program that's 72-11 since 2012 with a national title and 3 straight playoff appearances is a stretch. Yes they have to prove it on the field and they very well could come back to reality, but I don't think it's crazy to say this year's Clemson team has the potential to at least be the best team Furman has played in the modern era, which would also probably put them in the running for best team the Paladins have ever lined up against.

I've already mentioned this in a previous thread, but something like 40 something to 10 or 14 would make me very happy. We should get some play on ESPN regardless, but it only gets embarrassing when it's 50 something or 60 something to 0 or 3. Which I have a hard time seeing unless we turn the ball over a ton. Keep it close through half, have some fun, no injuries, and get ready for Elon.
MNORM, apaladin liked this
 #2433  by cavedweller2
 Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:39 pm
The Orange terds will be lazy and overconfident. I wanna hear the boos when it is 21-3 Paladins at the half.
FUBeAR, dornb, QCGlue and 4 others liked this
 #2436  by The Jackal
 Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:00 am
fufanatic wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:20 am
The Jackal wrote:
apaladin wrote:

I think mentioning '07 Michigan in the same breathe as a program that's 72-11 since 2012 with a national title and 3 straight playoff appearances is a stretch. Yes they have to prove it on the field and they very well could come back to reality, but I don't think it's crazy to say this year's Clemson team has the potential to at least be the best team Furman has played in the modern era, which would also probably put them in the running for best team the Paladins have ever lined up against.

I've already mentioned this in a previous thread, but something like 40 something to 10 or 14 would make me very happy. We should get some play on ESPN regardless, but it only gets embarrassing when it's 50 something or 60 something to 0 or 3. Which I have a hard time seeing unless we turn the ball over a ton. Keep it close through half, have some fun, no injuries, and get ready for Elon.
Point being is that preseason chatter thought that Michigan team was one of the best teams in the country. The actual games showed otherwise.

Everything at this point is talk.
Jasper liked this
 #2438  by apaladin
 Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:43 pm
Clempson has been really good for 4-5 seasons now. They have become a top 2 program along with Alabama. Michigan lost 4 games that year and was over-rated. Clempson is not over-rated as much as I hate to say it.
AstroDin liked this
 #2439  by AstroDin
 Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:49 pm
apaladin wrote:
Clempson has been really good for 4-5 seasons now. They have become a top 2 program along with Alabama. Michigan lost 4 games that year and was over-rated. Clempson is not over-rated as much as I hate to say it.
This is kinda in fun but being a Mustang guy… as is a certain SID I know. I stumbled onto CJPony Parts labeling College football teams as cars by conference… Clemson is a Lamborghini Huracan. A would totally agree.
https://www.cjponyparts.com/skin/fronte ... c-2018.jpg

My hope is if they did the SoCon Furman would be a Shelby but I think a Ford Raptor fits the bill… not sure why except they're rugged as hell and 4x4 they can even rock climb.

They did do the CAA and it's funny as hell. Check out what car they picked for Elon, W&M and Rhode Island:
https://www.cjponyparts.com/resources/c ... s-vehicles
 #2440  by The Jackal
 Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:10 pm
apaladin wrote:
Let's break this down.

Before the 2007 season, nobody knew Michigan was going to lose four games or be "overrated." They were 11-2 in 2006 and objectively one of the top teams in the country.

In the same manner, Clemson was good last year and enters this season highly rated. They may be the best team in the country. They may not be.

Maybe Clemson will be the best team Furman has ever faced. You cannot make that assessment now. Heck, you cannot even make that assessment during the season because sometimes teams come on strong or fade during the year.
Jasper liked this
 #2451  by apaladin
 Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:16 pm
ESPN gives Clempson a 99.7 percent chance of winning. At least we have A chance.
Bootie liked this
 #2452  by FUBeAR
 Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:55 pm
apaladin wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:16 pm
ESPN gives Clempson a 99.7 percent chance of winning. At least we have A chance.
Flagman, Bootie, sluggo liked this
 #2453  by MidlandsPaladin
 Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:44 pm
The Tigers play GSU two weeks after they play us. I would like to see us give them a better game than the Igglets do. I think we will. No predictions from me beyond that.
 #2454  by FUBeAR
 Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:14 pm
MidlandsPaladin wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:44 pm
The Tigers play GSU two weeks after they play us. I would like to see us give them a better game than the Igglets do. I think we will. No predictions from me beyond that.
FWIW, Massey’s Matchup Tool predicts Clemson will win both of those games @ Clemson 44-3.

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Roster Rebuild...

by Sad Din

Sun May 05, 2024 3:40 pm

Default Avatar Furman at Mississippi Negative Nancy

by Furmanoid

Sun May 05, 2024 2:48 pm

User avatar Notes from all around

by FurmanATT

Sat May 04, 2024 5:12 pm

Default Avatar Absence dulls the spring

by Affirm

Sat May 04, 2024 4:41 pm

User avatar 2024 opponents

by FUBeAR

Sat May 04, 2024 11:30 am

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.