• Feb. 20 - Western Carolina

#36668  by The Jackal
 Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:25 am
Furman opens up the strange year hosting the Catamounts.

WCU played three times this fall, and got absolutely trucked. Granted, they played one good ACC squad (UNC), a good G5 squad (Liberty), and a decent FCS team (Eastern Kentucky). They were not competitive in any of those games, however.

The Cats looked awful defensively, surrendering 52 ppg on defense. Liberty put up 630+ yards (379 passing). Even EKU put up 590 yards (EKU went 3-6 this fall, so are by no means a juggernaut).

Poor defense is a hallmark of WCU under Mark Speir. The Cats have finished last or almost last in scoring defense each year since 2016. Just watching their highlights from the UNC game, something that jumps out is poor defensive discipline and tackling.

Offensively, it looks like they are unsettled at QB. Will jones started two games. Mark Wright started one. Neither were particularly effective. They brought in a Penn transfer this fall who may get the nod. https://www.thedp.com/article/2021/02/p ... y-transfer

Most of their passes were targeted to the TE and RB, so they have not yet demonstrated much of a downfield passing game. I do think highly of Owen Cosenke, though, who is one of the SoCon's better TEs. Furman had a bit of trouble with Cosenke a few years ago in Greenville.

Just speculation here, but to me this looks like one of your typical Western Carolina teams - they will have some athletes, but are going to be weak defensively. Unlike a few of their prior iterations, they don't have a guy like Tyrie Adams under center, so they appear to lack some of that big play ability on offense.

One semi-concern is just how much dust Furman will need to knock off. These boys haven't played a football game in over a year. There is always rust in a week 1 game, but just how much rust will there be in this odd year?
 #36672  by FUBeAR
 Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:54 am
Cantamounts suck...always have, always will.

Goalpost-bendin’ bastages reaping for life the karma their sorry horde of hooligans once sowed.
Paladin82, furman88, DoomedDin1127 and 4 others liked this
 #36725  by gofurman
 Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:36 am
I'll have to look at WCU but without Adams at QB not toooo worried - always worry a little lol. The one advantage they have is they did play some games in the fall and as they say the most improvement is game 1 to game 2. That said, I like them as our first game
 #36726  by Paul C
 Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:43 am
gofurman wrote:
I'll have to look at WCU but without Adams at QB not toooo worried - always worry a little lol. The one advantage they have is they did play some games in the fall and as they say the most improvement is game 1 to game 2. That said, I like them as our first game
It will be interesting to see how much a benefit playing in October/Nov is to a game in Feb. I get what GF says about improvement as the season progresses, but really when you last played 2-3 months ago, is that really a benefit for continuity?
 #36728  by The Jackal
 Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:06 pm
Paul C wrote:
gofurman wrote:
It will be interesting to see how much a benefit playing in October/Nov is to a game in Feb. I get what GF says about improvement as the season progresses, but really when you last played 2-3 months ago, is that really a benefit for continuity?

I think it's anyone's guess.

Most seasons, both teams will look a bit rusty out of the gate. I have no idea what will happen given the length of the layoff.

If I had to hand pick a conference opponent to open with, though, it would be Western Carolina.
 #36731  by FUBeAR
 Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:06 pm
I would expect to see Glover from the list below as their QB.

4 Kason Lincke QB 6-1 200 Fr. Mobile, Ala. / Mobile Christian HS
7 Ryan Glover QB 6-2 210 Gr. Atlanta, Ga. / Penn / Woodward Academy
11 Carlos Davis QB 6-3 215 R-So. Baltimore, Md. / East Mississippi CC / Mergenthaler Vo-Tech HS
12 Cade Snotherly QB 6-0 185 Fr. Franklinville, N.C. / Eastern Randolph HS
15 Will Jones QB 6-4 220 R-Jr. Greensboro, N.C / Page HS

Even though he was not with WCU in the Fall, he was a pretty successful QB @ Penn in 2018.

https://pennathletics.com/sports/footb ... over/18184

Jones, who would be the ‘expected’ Starter has never really fit the O they want to run. The EMCC transfer doesn’t appear of any of EMCC’s rosters & they have 2 QB’s showing stats for 2019 - neither named Carlos Davis...so, who knows about his skills?

...gonna be interesting.
 #36733  by The Jackal
 Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:42 pm
Looking at Penn's statistics, Glover apparently was the starter for Penn in 2018. He was not the starter in 2019. I doubt he grad transferred to WCU to sit, though.

He certainly appears to be a mobile type QB with a big arm. Of course, WCU has had a number of such players over the years. He appears to give them a bit more oomph than Jones has.

#36736  by gofurman
 Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:16 pm
Paul C wrote:
gofurman wrote:
PaulC, Fair point. Especially if they start a new QB. But regardless I get your point - probably not a big factor
 #36738  by curiousfan
 Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:11 pm
I had the opportunity to watch Glover throughout his entire high school career....smart kid, great leader, that made tons of plays for the most winningest class in Woodward Academy history. I strongly suspect he will be QB1 going into the game vs. WCU on Saturday.
 #36741  by FUBeAR
 Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:11 pm
curiousfan wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:11 pm
I had the opportunity to watch Glover throughout his entire high school career....smart kid, great leader, that made tons of plays for the most winningest class in Woodward Academy history. I strongly suspect he will be QB1 going into the game vs. WCU on Saturday.
http://www.thedp.com/article/2021/02/p ... y-transfer
Former Penn quarterback Ryan Glover battling for starting job at Western Carolina University
WCU will play their first game on February 20

By Charlie Ma 02/09/21 10:06pm

... Glover is most likely currently competing for the starting quarterback position with redshirt junior Will Jones, who took most of the snaps under center in the fall. In 2019, Jones was elected as a team captain, starting in three of the six games he played in. He passed for 443 yards and a touchdown while rushing for 39 yards and two scores. In the three games this past fall the Catamounts played, Jones threw for 256 yards and a pair of touchdown passes.

As the FCS season will start in a little over a week, Glover will hope to make an impact for the Catamounts. Hopefully for the former Quaker, it will be at the starting quarterback position.
 #36788  by The Jackal
 Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:59 pm
A few thoughts.

Their three playmakers on offense are Spencer, Cosenke, and Patten.

Spencer is a threat both running and as a receiver. He will be a test for for our linebackers in coverage. The second running back, Stanley, is a much bigger back, but does not appear to be the receiving threat Spencer is.

Patten isn't a big guy, but can scoot. They'll try to find ways to get the ball out to him. It'll be interesting to see whether Furman opts to plaster him with Travis Blackshear or mix it up on who covers him.

It'll be interested to see how Furman deploys defensively. With a spread offense like WCU, we might see a versatile player like Dae'one Wilkins used creatively.

Hard to know what to expect out of the QB position. They are big guys. Might be good that we are seeing them before these transfers can settle into the offense.
 #36820  by MidlandsPaladin
 Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:38 am
No one has mentioned that we have a basketball game that tips off at the exact time that the football game kicks off. Any chance they stream the basketball game on the video board during the football game?

Recent Topics

User avatar Roster Rebuild...

by FU Hoopla

Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:42 pm

Default Avatar Off-season SOCON Transfer Tracker

by tya1

Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:38 pm

User avatar FOUR MONTHS FROM TODAY

by apaladin

Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:12 pm

User avatar Notes from all around

by FurmanATT

Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:53 pm

User avatar Absence dulls the spring

by apaladin

Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:18 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.