• National Signing Day 21

#34502  by The Jackal
 Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:34 am
AstroDin wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:51 am
The Jackal wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:44 am
Also, kudos to the coaching staff for putting together what looks to be an outstanding class under difficult circumstances.

Furman signed 15 kids, many of whom were highly coveted players. Just for comparison:

Samford signed 7 (3 transfers)
UTC signed 8 (4 transfers)
Mercer signed 6
Wofford signed 13
ETSU appears to have signed 2, one of whom appears to be a JuCo transfer that appeared on Last ChanceU last season.
the Citadel signed six

What does that tell us? I have no idea. I was just surprised to see the wide disparity in the size of the signing classes.
I'll go out on a limb and say when Hero Sports rolls out it's 2021 FCS team recruiting rankings - the Furman class is top five, maybe top three. This will be the second class in a row that is comparable to a JMU and NDSU class.

JMU and NDSU didn't get to where they are overnight. They both have a brand that makes them a serious contender when they offer a player. What CCH and staff have done with the Furman brand in such a short period of time is frankly amazing.

It's so short-sided to be complaining about a player only getting two offers, it wasn't that long ago that our signing day list had many players with one or two offers. One comes to mind — Devin Wynn. Played single-A ball in Georgia and Furman offered late. Yes, Devin ran all over A ball competition but Furman had no guarantee he would be able to do the same against college competition.

By the way, the Dukes signed 12
https://jmusports.com/news/2020/12/16/d ... g-day.aspx

NDSU, signed a big class 24
https://gobison.com/news/2020/12/16/nor ... g-day.aspx
James Madison had a string of 6-8 win seasons from 2010-2013 and finished in the middle of the CAA. They started to really get rolling in 2014, jumping to 9 wins. They haven't won fewer than 9 since and are a perennial top 5 team.
 #34504  by gman84
 Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:07 am
The Jackal wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:44 am
Also, kudos to the coaching staff for putting together what looks to be an outstanding class under difficult circumstances.

Furman signed 15 kids, many of whom were highly coveted players. Just for comparison:

Samford signed 7 (3 transfers)
UTC signed 8 (4 transfers)
Mercer signed 6
Wofford signed 13
ETSU appears to have signed 2, one of whom appears to be a JuCo transfer that appeared on Last ChanceU last season.
the Citadel signed six

What does that tell us? I have no idea. I was just surprised to see the wide disparity in the size of the signing classes.
With how the pandemic has changed college football this year who knows? I'm glad to see our staff put together a great class. I'm sure it wasn't easy!
 #34516  by FurmAlum
 Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:49 pm
No question that is a great job from the FU coaches. As a comparison Austin Peay only signed 3, although they have a new coach, which must have set them back some.
 #34536  by AstroDin
 Fri Dec 18, 2020 6:30 am
FurmAlum wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:49 pm
No question that is a great job from the FU coaches. As a comparison Austin Peay only signed 3, although they have a new coach, which must have set them back some.
I'm not sure if it's just a coincidence Furman competed against APSU for five players in this class.
 #34541  by The Jackal
 Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:36 am
Beuglas and Buford will take on Valdosta tonight in North Georgia. I believe this is the third straight trip north for Valdosta, which is on the Florida border, so they may be a bit road weary.

Still, historically unique game when two teams that have never met and essentially dominated their classifications for years. https://www.gwinnettdailypost.com/sport ... e841c.html

This point bears fleshing out, and is important to remember that Beuglas is one of Buford's starting linebackers:
n the playoffs, Buford has routed Douglas County (48-0), Cambridge (42-7) and Hughes (44-15). The defense has allowed 52 points (4.7 per game) during its 11-game winning streak. Even that number is skewed by points surrendered late in blowouts by the reserves as both Cambridge and Hughes scored in the waning seconds the past two weeks.
 #34544  by Furmanoid
 Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:31 am
The Jackal wrote:
Beuglas and Buford will take on Valdosta tonight in North Georgia. I believe this is the third straight trip north for Valdosta, which is on the Florida border, so they may be a bit road weary.

Still, historically unique game when two teams that have never met and essentially dominated their classifications for years. https://www.gwinnettdailypost.com/sport ... e841c.html

This point bears fleshing out, and is important to remember that Beuglas is one of Buford's starting linebackers:
n the playoffs, Buford has routed Douglas County (48-0), Cambridge (42-7) and Hughes (44-15). The defense has allowed 52 points (4.7 per game) during its 11-game winning streak. Even that number is skewed by points surrendered late in blowouts by the reserves as both Cambridge and Hughes scored in the waning seconds the past two weeks.
Is this the championship game? Those are on tv aren’t they?
 #34549  by The Jackal
 Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:10 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:31 am
The Jackal wrote:

Is this the championship game? Those are on tv aren’t they?
Semi finals, but will probably be televised on GPTV.
 #34572  by Furmanoid
 Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:39 am
When I googled that game the first image that popped up was our guy haulin ass with that pick 6. And it grew to 70 yds overnight. Their D must be pretty awesome to do what they did to Valdosta.
 #34574  by AstroDin
 Sat Dec 19, 2020 9:34 am
Furmanoid wrote:
When I googled that game the first image that popped up was our guy haulin ass with that pick 6. And it grew to 70 yds overnight. Their D must be pretty awesome to do what they did to Valdosta.
Buford is loaded… their tailback #22 is headed to Nebraska. Venn the Buford #2 tailback is a junior and has a list of offers a mile long. Beuglas is no doubt FBS talent. He plays MLB for Buford and looks to be a bit of a rover in their defense. He was dropped back into coverage a good bit last night.
 #34577  by FUBeAR
 Sat Dec 19, 2020 10:34 am
AstroDin wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 9:34 am
Furmanoid wrote:
Buford is loaded… their tailback #22 is headed to Nebraska. Venn the Buford #2 tailback is a junior and has a list of offers a mile long. Beuglas is no doubt FBS talent. He plays MLB for Buford and looks to be a bit of a rover in their defense. He was dropped back into coverage a good bit last night.
Played some Fullback too. I believe he caught at least 1 pass; was mostly clearing the way for those 2 RB’s. Looked a bit like UNC @ Miami the way Buford was running over Valdosta. And #22 (Gabe Ervin) reminded me a lot of ol’ #27, Standiford Jenkins, in his stature (6-1 205) and the way he runs the ball.
 #34578  by AstroDin
 Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:20 am
I'll be curious to see how Furman uses Grant Robinson - is he a Devin Wynn type back or a Devin Abrams type back?
Grant is 6-1 210 but appears to me to have talkback speed. I hope this works here is his highlights from the John Paul matchup against Parish (won 6A TAPPS state championship) Grant rushed for 254 yards and 4 touchdowns in that game.
> http://www.hudl.com/v/2ENVYf

Myion Hicks is 5-11 215. Hicks runs with a lot of power but he's very shifty and has speed to create bursts.
> http://www.hudl.com/video/3/9707586/5f8 ... 0728821906

These two are going to be an interesting tandem of bigger running backs.

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Roster Rebuild

by Sad Din

Thu May 16, 2024 6:12 pm

User avatar Notes from all around

by FurmanATT

Thu May 16, 2024 2:46 pm

User avatar 2024 opponents

by FUBeAR

Thu May 16, 2024 1:13 pm

User avatar PreSeason Poll

by FUBeAR

Thu May 16, 2024 11:35 am

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.