• National Signing Day 21

#34468  by apaladin
 Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:28 pm
AstroDin wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:24 pm
Pantego Christian > where Myion Hicks played is around 16K tuition it's a 4 A school
John Paul II > where Grant Robinson played is around 19K tuition it's a 6 A school
for comparison
CCES is over 21K
SJCS is 14K - Jake Johanning and Luke Bynum are grads of SJCS
IMO - Pantego and John Paul are average tuitions for prep school.

My client a TEXAS 6A private school is over 32K their competitive schools jump to 40K up plus you have a few schools that offer boarding and that puts a year at well over 60K.
That is crazy!!
 #34469  by The Jackal
 Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:32 pm
FurmAlum wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:40 pm
I can't fathom paying 40K+ to send a kid to high school. Are the public schools in the Dallas area that bad?

I did send my daughter to Furman and paid for most of it as she did have a couple small academic scholarships. And I would do it again, too. But she went to a public high school and it was fine. The public schools here are good. Other daughter went to Chattanooga and it was fine too.

I have friends who sent their kids to the local private high school here and then they went to public colleges like UT and Austin Peay. Why do you need to go to a private high school to prepare for UT or APSU? That makes no sense to me.
I find that nearly every person you speak to will be assure that they have made the best decision for their child. Whatever that decision happens to be.

Besides that, I just don't tell other people what to do with their time or money.
FUKA61, Paladin82, gman84 liked this
 #34471  by The Jackal
 Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:50 pm
apaladin wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:27 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 3:57 pm
apaladin wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:58 pm
Looks like a pretty good class. Why can’t we get a QB? Our only QB recruit had only 2 other offers and they were not very good ones. Was he even recruited as a QB? We are one departure away(injury, academics, transfer)from having a slew of walk ons competing for the starting job. :shock:
What are you even talking about?

Wilson starts at QB in arguably the toughest division of football in the country, Texas 6A (https://www.maxpreps.com/news/67vhJ-Mzo ... he-way.htm).

You look at the competition he plays against, and it includes two top 10 teams (again, in the toughest division of high school football in the country). One of those teams is top 25 nationally and the other is one of the historically great programs in Texas. Yeah, Mayde Creek lost their last two games against those two teams.

So, Wilson throws for 1600 yards at a nearly 60% completion rate at a brand new school against some of the nation's top high school programs a year after throwing for 2500 yards and 27 touchdowns for a different school, and you are just convinced he isn't cut out to play QB? Because of all the tape you've watched? Your intricate knowledge of his recruiting?

This kid has been our QB target since the early summer. Get over it.
56.5 completion rate 9 TD’s, 10 interceptions, undersized. He didn’t play that well but it was against good competition. You should understand the skepticism but if you think he is the QB of the future I will yield to your expertise. I am hoping you are spot on and he has a great career at FU.

I have no idea what his career is going to look like. No one does. I just think you need to let a kid show up on campus before writing him off as a recruiting miss.

I don't really understand the skepticism, though. Wilson is already playing at literally the top level of high school football in the country. Last season he threw for 2500+ yards, 27 touchdowns and 6 int. Those numbers seem more eye popping though, no?

He's listed at 5'11. The SoCon has produced three Payton winners at QB this millennium, two of them were 5'11 or shorter. The most dominant player I've seen in the FCS over the last 20 years was a 5'11 QB.
 #34475  by apaladin
 Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:15 pm
Gotcha, lord knows we need some help at QB. Do you think he will come in this fall and be #1 backup or do you see him as a redshirt since Sisson has 2 more years? He might benefit from the 4 game rule.
 #34477  by youwouldno
 Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:37 pm
The Jackal wrote:
I don't really understand the skepticism, though. Wilson is already playing at literally the top level of high school football in the country. Last season he threw for 2500+ yards, 27 touchdowns and 6 int. Those numbers seem more eye popping though, no?

The SoCon has a much higher overall talent level than Texas 6A. Without any other considerations, struggling to adjust to Texas 6A would not be considered a great sign for then stepping up again to college ball. I don't think it means much in this case, but at a minimum, it is unusual.
apaladin liked this
 #34478  by Paul C
 Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:51 pm
Doesn’t matter really what we think.

If I put you in a room with film, and George Quarles in a room with film, and asked each of you to evaluate a group of QB prospects, I know who I’m listening to.
din23, hypercycloid liked this
 #34480  by The Jackal
 Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:10 pm
apaladin wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:15 pm
Gotcha, lord knows we need some help at QB. Do you think he will come in this fall and be #1 backup or do you see him as a redshirt since Sisson has 2 more years? He might benefit from the 4 game rule.
No clue. This fall is going to be weird because of changes in eligibility rules to COVID.

There's probably an open question about whether the staff looks to bring in another QB before the February signing date. I'm sure they'd like to be out of the business of playing Freshmen at that position.
 #34481  by FUBeAR
 Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:12 pm
Paul C wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:51 pm
Doesn’t matter really what we think.

If I put you in a room with film, and George Quarles in a room with film, and asked each of you to evaluate a group of QB prospects, I know who I’m listening to.
Thank you. I appreciate the props & confidence, but I must insist, Paul C, that you heed the counsel of Coach Quarles over FUBeAR in this case.

Now, if you want to put FUBeAR up against Coach Lusk, I’d wipe the floor with that sorry Enloe Eagle? ;)
apaladin liked this
 #34485  by The Jackal
 Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:35 pm
youwouldno wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:37 pm
The Jackal wrote:

The SoCon has a much higher overall talent level than Texas 6A. Without any other considerations, struggling to adjust to Texas 6A would not be considered a great sign for then stepping up again to college ball. I don't think it means much in this case, but at a minimum, it is unusual.
I mean, every high school football player has to step up to D1 football. The point is that drawing conclusions from cherry picked statistics without context is just a bad idea. It's a bad idea generally speaking, and it's particularly bad here.

I went back and watched some of his highlights/film. I would be bullish on him. While I am not George Quarles, here's why I think he's a great fit:

First, you can already see the arm strength. He has a number of 35ish yard throws effectively flat footed. Very little wasted movement. Quick flick of the wrist and the ball flies.

Here's a ball he can actually set his feet on. Again, perfectly placed, weighted, and right on target. I'm not sure I saw a throw like this one time all season last year for our offense. Watch the quick release - ball zips.

This ball is about 60 yards in the air.

AstroDin liked this
 #34486  by The Jackal
 Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:35 pm
Creativity is also there. Here's a touchdown throw he essentially sidearms. Ball out quick with a flick at a different arm slot. One guy that was a master at doing that was Devlin Hodges.

Presence. Escape pressure, keep eyes downfield, find the open man.

Plenty of film too on his running. I agree with the other observations that his offensive line was pretty porous, so he was on the run a bunch.
AstroDin liked this
 #34493  by The Jackal
 Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:44 am
Also, kudos to the coaching staff for putting together what looks to be an outstanding class under difficult circumstances.

Furman signed 15 kids, many of whom were highly coveted players. Just for comparison:

Samford signed 7 (3 transfers)
UTC signed 8 (4 transfers)
Mercer signed 6
Wofford signed 13
ETSU appears to have signed 2, one of whom appears to be a JuCo transfer that appeared on Last ChanceU last season.
the Citadel signed six

What does that tell us? I have no idea. I was just surprised to see the wide disparity in the size of the signing classes.
 #34497  by gman84
 Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:32 am
The Jackal wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:32 pm
FurmAlum wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:40 pm
I can't fathom paying 40K+ to send a kid to high school. Are the public schools in the Dallas area that bad?

I did send my daughter to Furman and paid for most of it as she did have a couple small academic scholarships. And I would do it again, too. But she went to a public high school and it was fine. The public schools here are good. Other daughter went to Chattanooga and it was fine too.

I have friends who sent their kids to the local private high school here and then they went to public colleges like UT and Austin Peay. Why do you need to go to a private high school to prepare for UT or APSU? That makes no sense to me.
I find that nearly every person you speak to will be assure that they have made the best decision for their child. Whatever that decision happens to be.

Besides that, I just don't tell other people what to do with their time or money.
Exactly Jackal. Both of my kids graduated from SJCS. My son then graduated from FU in 19. My daughter will graduate from Anderson Univ. in 22. Yes, I shelled out some $$. Both kids took advantage of a lot of scholarship money which helped. They chose their schools, we were fortunate to make it work. The rising costs of higher education...that's another story for another day.
AstroDin liked this
 #34499  by AstroDin
 Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:51 am
The Jackal wrote:
Also, kudos to the coaching staff for putting together what looks to be an outstanding class under difficult circumstances.

Furman signed 15 kids, many of whom were highly coveted players. Just for comparison:

Mercer signed 6
Wofford signed 13
ETSU appears to have signed 2, one of whom appears to be a JuCo transfer that appeared on Last ChanceU last season.
the Citadel signed six

What does that tell us? I have no idea. I was just surprised to see the wide disparity in the size of the signing classes.
I'll go out on a limb and say when Hero Sports rolls out it's 2021 FCS team recruiting rankings - the Furman class is top five, maybe top three. This will be the second class in a row that is comparable to a JMU and NDSU class.

JMU and NDSU didn't get to where they are overnight. They both have a brand that makes them a serious contender when they offer a player. What CCH and staff have done with the Furman brand in such a short period of time is frankly amazing.

It's so short-sided to be complaining about a player only getting two offers, it wasn't that long ago that our signing day list had many players with one or two offers. One comes to mind — Devin Wynn. Played single-A ball in Georgia and Furman offered late. Yes, Devin ran all over A ball competition but Furman had no guarantee he would be able to do the same against college competition.

By the way, the Dukes signed 12
https://jmusports.com/news/2020/12/16/d ... g-day.aspx

NDSU, signed a big class 24
https://gobison.com/news/2020/12/16/nor ... g-day.aspx
 #34500  by gofurman
 Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:57 am
The Jackal wrote:

Mercer signed 6
Wofford signed 13
the Citadel signed six

I could understand Mercer holding off until they get a better feel for their needs long-term. The ETSU thing baffles me - signing TWO? Not sure I have ever heard of that.. as in - ever. But maybe they are looking to sign in February?

Maybe that is a result of the extra year of eligibility? that just occurred to me. Which, conversely, means we are potentially ponying up some money to carry 15 new guys along with whomever stays through the fall. Glad to hear that !!! I really hope numerous guys stay for the next season. That's huge. If one school keeps most guys in the fall and another school loses most of them that's a big advantage to the school that was able to keep some 5/6 year seniors. that will be interesting to watch in the fall

If that is the reason ETSU only signed two (because everyone committed to returning in the fall) then that will really help them
 #34501  by The Jackal
 Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:04 am
gofurman wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:57 am
The Jackal wrote:

Mercer signed 6
Wofford signed 13
the Citadel signed six

I could understand Mercer holding off until they get a better feel for their needs long-term. The ETSU thing baffles me - signing TWO? Not sure I have ever heard of that.. as in - ever. But maybe they are looking to sign in February?

Maybe that is a result of the extra year of eligibility? that just occurred to me. Which, conversely, means we are potentially ponying up some money to carry 15 new guys along with whomever stays through the fall. Glad to hear that !!! I really hope numerous guys stay for the next season. That's huge. If one school keeps most guys in the fall and another school loses most of them that's a big advantage to the school that was able to keep some 5/6 year seniors. that will be interesting to watch in the fall

If that is the reason ETSU only signed two (because everyone committed to returning in the fall) then that will really help them

It's hard to read too much into it due to the pandemic. Some schools may be under different restrictions, especially considering the changes to eligibility rules.

You also have to factor in the transfer portal. Who needs recruiting when several hundred players are looking for new schools?

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Roster Rebuild

by Sad Din

Thu May 16, 2024 6:12 pm

User avatar Notes from all around

by FurmanATT

Thu May 16, 2024 2:46 pm

User avatar 2024 opponents

by FUBeAR

Thu May 16, 2024 1:13 pm

User avatar PreSeason Poll

by FUBeAR

Thu May 16, 2024 11:35 am

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.