#34579  by The Jackal
 Sat Dec 19, 2020 12:38 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 10:34 am
AstroDin wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 9:34 am
Furmanoid wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:39 am
When I googled that game the first image that popped up was our guy haulin ass with that pick 6. And it grew to 70 yds overnight. Their D must be pretty awesome to do what they did to Valdosta.
Buford is loaded… their tailback #22 is headed to Nebraska. Venn the Buford #2 tailback is a junior and has a list of offers a mile long. Beuglas is no doubt FBS talent. He plays MLB for Buford and looks to be a bit of a rover in their defense. He was dropped back into coverage a good bit last night.
Played some Fullback too. I believe he caught at least 1 pass; was mostly clearing the way for those 2 RB’s. Looked a bit like UNC @ Miami the way Buford was running over Valdosta. And #22 (Gabe Ervin) reminded me a lot of ol’ #27, Standiford Jenkins, in his stature (6-1 205) and the way he runs the ball.
Valdosta is plenty good, but not quite at their typical dominance this season.

I also feel for them on their third straight playoff road game to North Georgia. It's 150+ miles just from Valdosta to Macon. Those are some long bus rides.
 #34580  by The Jackal
 Sat Dec 19, 2020 12:40 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 7:46 pm
Beuglas just had a 60+ yard pick six
Not the sexiest interception you'll see, but right place right time and no one came close to catching him. Good linebackers tend to just be where the football is.

#34583  by The Jackal
 Sat Dec 19, 2020 1:20 pm
AstroDin wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:20 am
I'll be curious to see how Furman uses Grant Robinson - is he a Devin Wynn type back or a Devin Abrams type back?
Grant is 6-1 210 but appears to me to have talkback speed. I hope this works here is his highlights from the John Paul matchup against Parish (won 6A TAPPS state championship) Grant rushed for 254 yards and 4 touchdowns in that game.
> http://www.hudl.com/v/2ENVYf

Myion Hicks is 5-11 215. Hicks runs with a lot of power but he's very shifty and has speed to create bursts.
> http://www.hudl.com/video/3/9707586/5f8 ... 0728821906

These two are going to be an interesting tandem of bigger running backs.
Not sure how they will use them. Couple of thoughts:

We really only used two "RBs" last season - Abrams and Roberto. Maples missed a lot of time and has apparently left the program, which necessitated a lot more work for Roberto. I think we'll see those two get the majority of the snaps in the fall.

At TB, I think we are set up even without Watkins. Wynn will be the primary guy, but both Anderson and Thomas look like excellent players. Abshier isn't a big name, but he quietly played in every game last year and seems like a guy the coaching staff trusts out there.

One interesting twist, potentially, is to see whether Furman can utilize two TE sets more frequently. We had two commits from big (literally) TEs that will add a good bit of depth to a position that has been pretty thin during Hendrix's tenure.

Our offense has been pretty good under Hendrix, but new depth the last two classes may give us a shot to run different personnel groupings (two TEs or 3 WRs) we have not seen much of to this point due to numbers.
 #34857  by AstroDin
 Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:22 am
I watched the game on Twitter - two equally matched teams. I hope Furman is watching Buford QB, Ashton Daniels (class of 22).
Daniels has one offer right now Lehigh, no way that will stay his only offer. Daniels made some big plays in the fourth.
 #34858  by The Jackal
 Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:19 am
Considering we have taken players from Buford in each of the last two classes, I expect we will stay in touch with their program.
 #35697  by The Jackal
 Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:46 am
In an odd year, I guess there will still be a February signing day. It looks like we may still be adding to the '21 class.

I noticed we recently offered a big defensive lineman out of NC, who has a slew of D1 offers including the academies.

#35698  by Furmanoid
 Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:11 am
If a school wanted to gamble a little this year, they could talk to top programs in states that didn’t play this year. At those places you can be a stud but never start until Senior year because there are older studs ahead of you. So there are DI level players who never got a chance to start because of Covid, so nobody knows about them but their coaches and summer camp staff. They are screwed and probably pretty desperate. I hope somebody exploits this.
 #35702  by The Jackal
 Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:19 am
Furmanoid wrote:
If a school wanted to gamble a little this year, they could talk to top programs in states that didn’t play this year. At those places you can be a stud but never start until Senior year because there are older studs ahead of you. So there are DI level players who never got a chance to start because of Covid, so nobody knows about them but their coaches and summer camp staff. They are screwed and probably pretty desperate. I hope somebody exploits this.
I mean, those are likely NCAA violations, but sure.
 #35703  by Furmanoid
 Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:07 am
The Jackal wrote:
Furmanoid wrote:
Recruiters talk to HS coaches quite a bit. They are never going to pursue somebody before asking the coach about attitude and grades. So there is lots of communication and I think it’s pretty unregulated. Recruiters even make the rounds to watch practices. It isn’t uncommon for them to come around to look at one kid and leave interested in another kid the coach points out. And in the case of Seniors, they are allowed to pretty much pester the kids themselves. So I don’t see any problem.

I’m sure Furman won’t mess with this angle because the states we recruit mostly played (except NC). But in NC and elsewhere there are probably guys with 4 star ability who had to wait behind older 4 or 5 stars until senior year only to have their one shot taken away. Sad for them.
 #35705  by FUBeAR
 Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:14 am
Furmanoid wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:07 am
The Jackal wrote:
Furmanoid wrote:
Recruiters talk to HS coaches quite a bit. They are never going to pursue somebody before asking the coach about attitude and grades. So there is lots of communication and I think it’s pretty unregulated. Recruiters even make the rounds to watch practices. It isn’t uncommon for them to come around to look at one kid and leave interested in another kid the coach points out. And in the case of Seniors, they are allowed to pretty much pester the kids themselves. So I don’t see any problem.

I’m sure Furman won’t mess with this angle because the states we recruit mostly played (except NC). But in NC and elsewhere there are probably guys with 4 star ability who had to wait behind older 4 or 5 stars until senior year only to have their one shot taken away. Sad for them.
I think Jackal thought you meant college programs when you said “top programs” instead of the top HS programs that I believe you meant. Doing those things suggested with NCAA college Players would be violations. Doing them with HS Players (in most cases) would not be violations...unless McDonald’s bags full of cash are included in the process.
 #35706  by Furmanoid
 Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:46 am
Oh, I get it now. Yes I was referring to a theoretical population of highly talented HS seniors who nobody will ever know about.

One good question to ask the HS coach is whether or not the kid will rat you out over a McDonalds bag full of money.
 #35708  by The Jackal
 Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:57 am
Furmanoid wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:46 am
Oh, I get it now. Yes I was referring to a theoretical population of highly talented HS seniors who nobody will ever know about.

One good question to ask the HS coach is whether or not the kid will rat you out over a McDonalds bag full of money.

FCS schools have to live in market inefficiency. The best programs are able to land a lot of the good recruits available to most FCS programs, but also locate kids that are overlooked for whatever reason.
 #36057  by AstroDin
 Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:29 pm
Jordan Bass
6-3 285 DT/DE
Wake Christian Academy
Raleigh, NC

Offers >>>
Furman
Austin Peay
Charleston Southern
Gardner Webb
Campbell
Georgetown
Lehigh
Princeton
Bryant
North Carolina Central
Navy
Army
Air Force

Bass is a very big dude… another interesting piece for the Dins defense
https://www.hudl.com/video/3/11409130/5 ... 05541676f4

Recent Topics

Default Avatar PreSeason Poll

by gofurman

Thu Jun 13, 2024 12:22 pm

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by FU Hoopla

Thu Jun 13, 2024 11:33 am

Default Avatar 2024 Football Schedule - unofficial

by gman84

Thu Jun 13, 2024 7:55 am

Default Avatar Playoff Changes

by The Jackal

Wed Jun 12, 2024 3:41 pm

User avatar SOCON Landscape Next Year

by FU Hoopla

Wed Jun 12, 2024 7:52 am

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.