#84420  by The Jackal
 Fri Jan 26, 2024 12:12 pm
gofurman wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 11:58 am
Bootie wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 11:06 am
The Jackal wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2024 6:58 am
If it makes you feel better, they play at VMI and at Alabama the two weeks prior to hosting Furman.
AND we’ll have the entire season to see what they’re up to.
Bootie, true. But I think the prime time to play a team with new coach and new system is in September after game 1. Say game 3 or so. You know their system. At least 80%. They are not going to change from a WingT to an air raid from week 1 to 3. But they still are learning and will have several hiccups. Wrong routes etc. Missed blocks. All teams do. But with a new system ? A LOT of errors can occur in September

And if our coaches are good - which I think they are - two game films is plenty to dissect a team. Shouldn’t take 11.

Not that we can alter when we play ETSU or Mercer. Just off season banter

Oh, I think more film will be better for Furman.

Mercer lost most of their offensive firepower. They have a new coach. They'll have a new QB and, it appears, picked up a few transfers at that position. The more looks we have at them and their new personnel, the better.

I suspect that set up is more disadvantageous to Mercer than Furman. They'll play the defending champs after seven consecutive games and back to back road games against a major FBS power (Bama) and their longest road trip (VMI).
 #87611  by FUBeAR
 Sat May 04, 2024 11:30 am
This guy sez Rebels win the SEC this year…

#87621  by The Jackal
 Sun May 05, 2024 10:52 pm
I suspect that Ole Miss is going to be a top 5/top 10 team. We'll get our money's worth that Saturday.
 #87625  by Davemeister
 Mon May 06, 2024 11:27 am
I watched the Rebels in their Bowl game vs. Penn St. We will have our hands full that Saturday.
QCGlue liked this
 #87629  by apaladin
 Mon May 06, 2024 1:11 pm
Was hoping their QB would go to the NFL but guess he didn’t want to take a pay cut.
Choir Boy liked this
 #87722  by apaladin
 Thu May 16, 2024 3:16 am
I know(hope) that JD knows what he is doing but still a little concened about future FBS games. It has been years since we have announced a new FBS game while other SoCon teams have them scheduled into the 2030’s. For example VMI just picked up Virginia for 2030 and 2032. We are literally 2 years away from our last scheduled FBS game and that was rescheduled from 2020. Next years Clempson game was scheduled years ago. I know it’s a different landscpe now but hope we don’t get caught with our pants down. We need FBS games.

PS-I looked it up the last time we announced a future FBS game was in 2019(SC-2023).
 #87727  by The Jackal
 Thu May 16, 2024 11:45 am
Just noticing a few things with the CAA.

Delaware is leaving for CUSA.

Richmond just announced it was leaving the conference for football and joining the Patriot League. That was a surprise that one of the CAA's marquee programs would leave the football conference.

William & Mary is playing three SoCon schools this season (Furman, Wofford, and VMI).
Elon is playing two SoCon schools (ETSU and WCU)

Could we be seeing the beginnings of the CAA split? Since James Madison announced its departure in '21, the CAA has essentially lost JMU, Delaware, and Richmond and gained Hampton, Bryant, Monmouth and NC A&T.

Could the SoCon poach William & Mary, Elon, and Campbell? That would get to 12 football schools.

Scheduling could be a similar model to the SEC - with 8 conference games. Each team could have a few locked in "geographic" or "traditional" opponents every season (like Furman/Citadel or UTC/ETSU) and then a rotating schedule with everyone else.
 #87728  by FUBeAR
 Thu May 16, 2024 1:13 pm
The Jackal wrote:

Richmond just announced it was leaving the conference for football and joining the Patriot League. That was a surprise that one of the CAA's marquee programs would leave the football conference.

William & Mary is playing three SoCon schools this season (Furman, Wofford, and VMI).

Could we be seeing the beginnings of the CAA split? Since James Madison announced its departure in '21, the CAA has essentially lost JMU, Delaware, and Richmond and gained Hampton, Bryant, Monmouth and NC A&T.

Could the SoCon poach William & Mary, Elon, and Campbell? That would get to 12 football schools.

Scheduling could be a similar model to the SEC - with 8 conference games. Each team could have a few locked in "geographic" or "traditional" opponents every season (like Furman/Citadel or UTC/ETSU) and then a rotating schedule with everyone else.
Don’t overlook NC A&T. Would prefer the Aggies over the Camels…and not sure FUBeAR would have any interest in letting E*Loan back under the tent.

Could see it shaking out this way …

PL - Richmond (Football only), Villanova (Football only), William & Mary, and Elon all go to Patriot League, giving the Patriot 11 Football Teams…could be looking to add 1 (VMI, maybe - Army & Navy are in PL All Sports except Football) to get to 12 from there AND/OR to shed Georgetown to the PFL and have 10.

SoCon - pick up NC A&T, Campbell, and 1 more … or 2 if VMI goes to PL … West Georgia? North Alabama, Gardner-Webb, Charleston Southern?

Don’t love it, but could see it.
 #87749  by Affirm
 Sat May 18, 2024 11:04 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Thu May 16, 2024 1:13 pm
The Jackal wrote:

Don’t overlook NC A&T. Would prefer the Aggies over the Camels…and not sure FUBeAR would have any interest in letting E*Loan back under the tent.

Could see it shaking out this way …

PL - Richmond (Football only), Villanova (Football only), William & Mary, and Elon all go to Patriot League, giving the Patriot 11 Football Teams…could be looking to add 1 (VMI, maybe - Army & Navy are in PL All Sports except Football) to get to 12 from there AND/OR to shed Georgetown to the PFL and have 10.

SoCon - pick up NC A&T, Campbell, and 1 more … or 2 if VMI goes to PL … West Georgia? North Alabama, Gardner-Webb, Charleston Southern?

Don’t love it, but could see it.
"SoCon - pick up NC A&T, Campbell, and 1 more … or 2 if VMI goes to PL … West Georgia? North Alabama, Gardner-Webb, Charleston Southern? Don’t love it, but could see it."
I don't love it either, and I have these questions:
Are not WEST GEORGIA, NORTH ALABAMA, Eastern Kentucky, and Austin Peay already aligned with, either as members of or as future members of, the United Athletic Conference?
And are not Tennessee Tech and Tennessee Tech already aligned with the Ohio Valley Conference?
It IS interesting to see FUBeAR mentioning (among other interesting things FUBeAR mentions) West Georgia and North Alabama in regard to future SoCon membership. SO... if it is actually possible to consider West Georgia and North Alabama, then why not also add to the list for the SoCon:
Eastern Kentucky?
...Austin Peay?

And if the SoCon really would be able to get any of those, then what would be the possibility of taking from the Ohio Valley Conference:
Tennessee Tech?
... Tennessee State?

And if the SoCon would actually consider taking NCA&T, Campbell, Gardner-Webb, and Charleston Southern, then what would be the possibility of taking:
South Carolina State University?
North Carolina Central University?
Hampton University?
Norfolk State University?
Florida A&M University?

I would really like retaining VMI for the SoCon and bringing back W&M to the SoCon..
I presently have no problem with bringing back Elon, though it seems that FUBeAR may have some true information that might change my thinking on that.

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Roster Rebuild

by youwouldno

Sat May 18, 2024 2:11 pm

Default Avatar 2024 opponents

by Affirm

Sat May 18, 2024 11:04 am

User avatar PreSeason Poll

by FUBeAR

Sat May 18, 2024 4:44 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by FU Hoopla

Fri May 17, 2024 11:27 pm

User avatar 100 DAYS

by apaladin

Fri May 17, 2024 10:28 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.