• NCAA Tournament Musings March 22 (so far)

#86363  by Affirm
 Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:57 pm
Glad to see a few SEC losses among SEC’s eight (8) teams making it to the Tourney.
Hats off to Duquesne, Oakland, Yale.
Wish Samford and Colgate had won.
Stetson also.
What is this ASUN thing??
Stetson?
Since some team from ASUN gets to go to the Big Dance, I guess Stetson would be my top choice.
But is ASUN even serious in basketball?
Maybe someone will tell me how that is.
 #86376  by FUBeAR
 Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:22 pm
Affirm wrote:
Glad to see a few SEC losses among SEC’s eight (8) teams making it to the Tourney.
Stetson also.
Stetson?
Since some team from ASUN gets to go to the Big Dance, I guess Stetson would be my top choice.
https://www.midmajormadness.com/2022/3 ... dy-enfield
 #86380  by Affirm
 Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:21 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Affirm wrote:
Stetson also.
Stetson?
246 is the most recent NET ranking for FGCU, compared to Furman’s 147. The clip apparently relates to something 11 seasons ago. In that same most-recent NET, overall the ASUN teams rank poorly compared even to SoCon.
 #86381  by Affirm
 Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:29 pm
Dins&Heels wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:57 pm
Seems the ACC was better than popular opinion including on uffp. With the exception of UVA all are going strong in the tourney and NIT.
Florida. Glad that yet another of the SEC eight has already bowed out.
Alabama. Looks like Charleston did well but Charleston’s 96 points were just not enough against Alabama.
 #86385  by tya1
 Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:22 am
#12 seed James Madison beats #5 seed Wisconsin by 13. #12 seed Grand Canyon leads #5 St. Mary's by 6 early in the second half.

Clemson beat New Mexico by 21 earlier today to advance. I doubt Brownell is going anywhere else soon.
Yale over Auburn earlier. Princeton last year, Yale this year. Ivy League does well for a conference that doesn't allow red shirts or 5th year players - even if they were injured during their career.
 #86388  by FUBeAR
 Sat Mar 23, 2024 3:07 am
Affirm wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:
Affirm wrote:
Stetson also.
Stetson?
246 is the most recent NET ranking for FGCU, compared to Furman’s 147. The clip apparently relates to something 11 seasons ago. In that same most-recent NET, overall the ASUN teams rank poorly compared even to SoCon.
Sure … but that video is FUN to watch, ain’t it?

FUBeAR Jr was at Mercer during the 2012-13 & 2013-14 hoops seasons when Mercer was in the ASUN with FGCU and FUBeAR’s cousin, an FGCU Alum, was working in the FGCU Athletics Dept. Mercer Hoops was beat-Duke-good back in those days and you can see how good FGCU was in their run to the Sweet Sixteen. Those were some fun WARS to watch, particularly with some family pride on the line.
 #86398  by cavedweller2
 Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:15 pm
I had a good time wearing my Yale t shirt last night. Sometimes my collection of college t shirts that drives my wife crazy comes in handy.
apaladin liked this
 #86403  by Affirm
 Sat Mar 23, 2024 6:06 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2024 3:07 am
Affirm wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:
Affirm wrote:
Stetson also.
Stetson?
Sure … but that video is FUN to watch, ain’t it?

FUBeAR Jr was at Mercer during the 2012-13 & 2013-14 hoops seasons when Mercer was in the ASUN with FGCU and FUBeAR’s cousin, an FGCU Alum, was working in the FGCU Athletics Dept. Mercer Hoops was beat-Duke-good back in those days and you can see how good FGCU was in their run to the Sweet Sixteen. Those were some fun WARS to watch, particularly with some family pride on the line.
I hope to get around to watching.
Thanks for educating the many of us who are not as knowledgeable, or at least affirm. I was trying to learn where our upcoming (in what, 23 weeks FCS opponent Stetson earned their 2024 tournament berth, and so I now know more about ASUN than ever before. I also know a little more about the new FCS conference that several ASUN schools will be in.
Also thanks for sharing the good family and personal context.
 #86420  by Furmanoid
 Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:29 am
din23 wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:43 am
Furmanoid wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2024 9:17 pm
End of regulation in Oakland NC State game shows that NCAA basketball is fake.
Explain
Replay was clear enough that giving the ball to NC State couldn’t have been a mistake.
 #86427  by din23
 Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:22 am
Furmanoid wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:29 am
din23 wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:43 am
Furmanoid wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2024 9:17 pm
End of regulation in Oakland NC State game shows that NCAA basketball is fake.
Explain
Replay was clear enough that giving the ball to NC State couldn’t have been a mistake.
Watching live, I thought the announcers were dead wrong and the officials were correct. Yes, it touched the finger of the State defender, but the Oakland player had not finished the pass. As he continued the movement of passing the ball, it went through the defender’s finger and then his own hand was still on it.
 #86445  by apaladin
 Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:57 pm
Dins&Heels wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:57 pm
Seems the ACC was better than popular opinion including on uffp. With the exception of UVA all are going strong in the tourney and NIT.
Not really, UNC, Duke and Clemson won as expected. NC St was the only surprise and they got a huge break when Oakland beat Auburn. Otherwise they would be home.
 #86446  by apaladin
 Sun Mar 24, 2024 4:08 pm
The men have unparalled parity but tbe women do not have any. A few good teams then everyone else. For example just for fun I filled out one womens bracket on espn and just took every facorite or higher seed. I won 31 out of 32 games in the first and second rounds. Only loss was a 2 point loss, so one upset in 32 games. You will never see that in mens. This is why the lady gamecocks dominate and their achievments are overblown. They just beat an 8 seed by 47 points, something you rarely, if ever see in mens. They rarely see any competition.

Recent Topics

Default Avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by Affirm

Fri May 17, 2024 2:49 pm

User avatar Roster Rebuild

by apaladin

Fri May 17, 2024 12:21 am

User avatar The Future Home Of Furman Basketball

by FU Hoopla

Thu May 16, 2024 11:56 pm

User avatar Off-season SOCON Transfer Tracker

by FU Hoopla

Thu May 16, 2024 11:55 pm

User avatar Notes from all around

by FurmanATT

Thu May 16, 2024 2:46 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.