• NCAA Tournament Musings March 22 (so far)

#86450  by Jasper
 Sun Mar 24, 2024 6:38 pm
I thought that Grand Canyon U was a great Cinderella story until I read that they had 106, 000 students. 65 k of them are undergrads. WTF it’s a big hole in the ground. Might as well compete for a national championship with I presume hired hands.
 #86452  by Dins&Heels
 Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:23 pm
apaladin wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:57 pm
Dins&Heels wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:57 pm
Seems the ACC was better than popular opinion including on uffp. With the exception of UVA all are going strong in the tourney and NIT.
Not really, UNC, Duke and Clemson won as expected. NC St was the only surprise and they got a huge break when Oakland beat Auburn. Otherwise they would be home.
All about preparing for March. Four teams in the Sweet 16 is pretty solid.
 #86454  by apaladin
 Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:53 pm
Dins&Heels wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:23 pm
apaladin wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:57 pm
Dins&Heels wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:57 pm
Seems the ACC was better than popular opinion including on uffp. With the exception of UVA all are going strong in the tourney and NIT.
Not really, UNC, Duke and Clemson won as expected. NC St was the only surprise and they got a huge break when Oakland beat Auburn. Otherwise they would be home.
All about preparing for March. Four teams in the Sweet 16 is pretty solid.
More about who you. ACC has been pretty lucky so far. UNC and Duke have yet to play anyone with a chance of beating them. CU has 2 good wins and was all NC State could do beat Oakland in OT.
 #86457  by apaladin
 Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:25 pm
Jasper wrote:
I thought that Grand Canyon U was a great Cinderella story until I read that they had 106, 000 students. 65 k of them are undergrads. WTF it’s a big hole in the ground. Might as well compete for a national championship with I presume hired hands.
Of course GCU is in Phoenix, nowhere close to the Grand Canyon which is well over 200 miles from Phoenix. They hwve a huge online enrollment, online classes start every week, lol, have a 7,000 seat basketball facility and no football.
 #86463  by apaladin
 Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:14 pm
With a season where parity was at an all-time high, its kinda funny their are no cinderellas in the sweet 16 for the first time in years. No NCS and CU are not Cinderellas, they are P5 teams.
 #86467  by Furmanoid
 Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:09 am
This is the most uninteresting tournament I can remember. Maybe it’s just my overall dwindling interest in minor league sports. But dang, not only have there been very few exciting games, the quality of play is just tragic.

No, college athletes are not getting better and better. They’re getting worse in every sport. The type of coaching that made people good has been extinct for awhile now, and it won’t be back. So now we pay more than ever for a deteriorating product.
Jasper, apaladin, Affirm liked this
 #86468  by Roundball
 Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:28 am
apaladin wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:25 pm
Jasper wrote:
Of course GCU is in Phoenix, nowhere close to the Grand Canyon which is well over 200 miles from Phoenix. They hwve a huge online enrollment, online classes start every week, lol, have a 7,000 seat basketball facility and no football.
Evidently, the school is in some big trouble. "Grand Canyon University Fined $37.7 Million By Department Of Education."https://www.forbes.com/sites/edwardconr ... 5458f634f5
 #86471  by FUBeAR
 Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:23 am
Furmanoid wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:09 am
This is the most uninteresting tournament I can remember. Maybe it’s just my overall dwindling interest in minor league sports. But dang, not only have there been very few exciting games, the quality of play is just tragic.

No, college athletes are not getting better and better. They’re getting worse in every sport. The type of coaching that made people good has been extinct for awhile now, and it won’t be back. So now we pay more than ever for a deteriorating product.
The thing that FUBeAR has noticed about himself while tuning in for a few games is that he no longer has any empathy for the losing teams.

While FUBeAR still feels fairly good for the winning Teams/Players (unless he hates them…but the bellhops despite being eligible for every NCAA Tourney (since 1939) have NEVER made it…so prolly not too many that he ‘hates’), he used to feel so bad for the Players that lost a “heartbreaker.”

Not anymore…. Prolly the ‘what the heck…they don’t really care about this team, or their teammates, or good ol’ Whatsamatta U (just another 7-on-7 / AAU Tourney for them)…why should FUBeAR care?’ cynicism that is growing inside FUBeAR’s ever-more-Grinchy-heart for college athletics.
Jasper, Affirm liked this
 #86472  by Jasper
 Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:41 am
The whole thing is a shit show that had nothing to do with the intent of institutions of higher learning providing extra curricula activities for their students. The Ivies are the only schools that have it right. No scholies, no redshirts, no grad transfers etc. FU and similar schools would be better served by simply following what they do. It is sickening to hear the litany of schools that most players in this tourney have already attended. They could care less about any Grand Old Ivy allegiance and that sucks. The hypocrisy of it all is mind boggling. Blow the whole thing up and start over!
 #86900  by Roundball
 Sun Apr 07, 2024 3:53 pm
These women's games have been so much better played and fun to watch than the men. Great fundamental basketball. Also, no tv timeouts makes the flow of the game so much better.

Recent Topics

User avatar NFL DRAFT

by FUBeAR

Thu May 02, 2024 7:53 am

User avatar SOCON Landscape Next Year

by FU Hoopla

Thu May 02, 2024 6:32 am

User avatar Furman at Mississippi Negative Nancy

by FUTex

Thu May 02, 2024 2:46 am

Default Avatar Off-season SOCON Transfer Tracker

by FurmanFan23

Wed May 01, 2024 10:46 pm

User avatar Ladies Close Tiimmons with a W

by apaladin

Wed May 01, 2024 8:19 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.