• SoCon = Stability … and in today’s environment, that’s A LOT

#49458  by FUBeAR
 Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:22 am
FUBeAR likes this. It’s now been almost a decade since the last group of malcontents & charlatans cleaned out their SoCon lockers & 3 fine School/Programs/Teams more than adequately filled their spaces…without the whining and with much better dental health. FUBeAR appreciates the stability this provides.

Now…it will be interesting to see what comes out of the NCAA New Constitution and each Division/Sport, essentially, self-governing. What will NCAA Division I Football look like when all that shakes out? Dunno…but at least being part of the SoCon feels like the ‘house’ is built on solid rock instead of the shifting sands of so many other ‘homes.’

https://soconsports.com/news/2022/1/27 ... ision.aspx

SoCon Council of Presidents votes to increase exit fee provision

SPARTANBURG, S.C. – In an effort to emphasize its long-term commitment to membership in the Southern Conference, the 10-member Southern Conference Council of Presidents unanimously voted to increase the exit fee provision.

“In a rapidly changing college athletics landscape, this decision represents our member institutions’ collective interest in furthering the strong sports tradition of the Southern Conference and its steadfast commitment to the student-athlete academic experience,” said UNC Greensboro Chancellor Dr. Franklin D. Gilliam Jr., chair of the SoCon Council of Presidents.

The exit fee was doubled to $2 million with proper notice. The decision was made to underscore Southern Conference member school commitment in the midst of changes among other conferences.

“Furman University has been a long-time member of the Southern Conference. We value the benefits of its size, geographic footprint, and the strengths brought by each of the institutions. In this time of change and uncertainty, the Southern Conference is strong and unified.”
– Furman University President Elizabeth Davis, vice chair of the SoCon Council of Presidents

“This action reflects our values as a conference. We value our compact geographic footprint that advances the academic experience of our student-athletes. We value the commitment of our institutions to academics – a commitment that facilitates collective academic endeavors. And we value stability, because it creates long-term rivalries while also fostering friendships among colleagues within the conference.”
– Mercer University President Bill Underwood, past chair of the SoCon Council of Presidents
din23, FU3 liked this
 #49469  by Flagman
 Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:04 pm
I would think that a school's original contract to join the conference would spell out any "exit" fee, unless every school in the conference amended their contracts to reflect the new fee. If it was unanimous, I can see stability. If any objected, I would view that as a potential "exit."
 #49470  by FUBeAR
 Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:14 pm
Flagman wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:04 pm
I would think that a school's original contract to join the conference would spell out any "exit" fee, unless every school in the conference amended their contracts to reflect the new fee. If it was unanimous, I can see stability. If any objected, I would view that as a potential "exit."
“…the 10-member Southern Conference Council of Presidents unanimously voted to increase the exit fee provision.”

Recent Topics

User avatar Roster Rebuild

by apaladin

Wed May 15, 2024 1:57 pm

User avatar New Spartanburg Minor League Team

by Davemeister

Wed May 15, 2024 11:19 am

User avatar Richmond to Patriot League for Football

by FUBeAR

Wed May 15, 2024 10:38 am

Default Avatar New Lax Coach

by Sad Din

Tue May 14, 2024 6:12 pm

User avatar Furman at Mississippi Negative Nancy

by FUTex

Tue May 14, 2024 12:58 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.