• CAA, Big South, Monmouth

#49218  by Affirm
 Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:04 pm
Monmouth is leaving Big South Football and MAAC other sports in order to join CAA for all sports.
Would CAA be a better place for Furman than SoCon?
I am not saying it would be, but I would like to hear any advantages if anyone knows any.
I just know we frequently have some negative thoughts about SoCon and about it being a “hindrance” to Furman getting some regular season and post-season opportunities, as well as about some other weaknesses of the SoCon.
 #49220  by Furmanoid
 Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:20 pm
Those CAA schools are too far away.

But I get what you are saying. There seems to be agreement that the SoCon is badly treated by selection committees. I’m just not so sure there is a great option.

But I do sometimes wonder why the FCS is such a great home if the football selection is rigged against us, the basketball selection is rigged against us and b-ball games against P5 schools are rigged against us. Maybe we have Stockholm Syndrome.
FUpaladin08, Affirm liked this
 #49221  by Flagman
 Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:13 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:20 pm
Those CAA schools are too far away.

But I get what you are saying. There seems to be agreement that the SoCon is badly treated by selection committees. I’m just not so sure there is a great option.

But I do sometimes wonder why the FCS is such a great home if the football selection is rigged against us, the basketball selection is rigged against us and b-ball games against P5 schools are rigged against us. Maybe we have Stockholm Syndrome.
I agree with each point, but point #1 is something we can control. Presently, every conference game is within a six hour drive. We’re still able to schedule P5 games in football and basketball. I would think if we lower our expectations, we could get some money (albeit with lower payouts) from some G5 teams. Citadel is playing Appy this year. I’m not ready to add Appy or Gus, but others may be willing to give us some games. Perhaps we can add Florida on a future schedule, given their new coach.
Affirm liked this
 #49312  by FurmAlum
 Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:15 pm
Furman, Wofford, Citadel, Western Carolina, Gardner Webb, Winthrop, South Carolina State, Charleston, Mercer, and Samford would make a good SoCon.

Maybe Kennesaw State and Campbell.

Low travel budgets and lots of potential rivalry games.

I guess we would have to figure out what to do with Chatty, ETSU, UNCG, and VMI.

Chas Southern would be the odd man out.
 #49335  by Affirm
 Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:47 pm
After some pondering, here’s my suggested merger/expansion:
SoCon add UNCW, Elon, CofC, Richmond, W&M. This makes SoCon a 12-team FB conference.
It makes it a 15-team basketball conference (soon as we pry Richmond from A-10 basketball).
Stronger conference overall (even if UR won’t come in for basketball).
Still keeps all of Furman’s travel to away conference games under 6.5 hours max.
 #49341  by Flagman
 Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:17 pm
This thread should be moved to General Idiocy.
Paladin82 liked this
 #49351  by Affirm
 Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:53 am
Flagman wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:17 pm
This thread should be moved to General Idiocy.
Truth to Power Flagman. I realize YOU are Power. But you are wrong. This thread, in Miscellaneous Sports, is not General Idiocy. We often have discussed, and will continue to discuss, opinions and facts on UFFP about how Furman Athletics could potentially be improved by strengthening the conference that we belong to; and about how Furman athletics is hindered or disadvantaged by the conference. This thread is in the correct place.
(At least I DID NOT proceed to post the thoughts that I had pondered about most of the existing SoCon joining with the CAA to make a 17-20 team super conference, with Furman being in the southern division thereof ALONG WITH some combination of Wofford, Citadel, CofC, WCU, Mercer, Elon, UNCG, UNCW, VMI, Richmond, W&M. I know that would be much harder to achieve than what I suggested instead.). I just want Furman to be in the best possible conference. We are OK for now, but what about in the future when one or several existing members move to a new conference? Not a General Idiocy discussion Flagman.
 #49354  by Roundball
 Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:14 am
This discussion is appropriate. If the SoCon does nothing, it will die. The conference needs to be ready for when the P5 schools break away from the NCAA.
 #49371  by apaladin
 Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:13 pm
FurmAlum wrote:
Furman, Wofford, Citadel, Western Carolina, Gardner Webb, Winthrop, South Carolina State, Charleston, Mercer, and Samford would make a good SoCon.

I guess we would have to figure out what to do with Chatty, ETSU, UNCG, and VMI.

ETSU, UNCG, are closer than most of the “new” ones you menntionef. All are closer than Sammy. No sense in lowering the quality of the SoCon with the teams you mentioned just to be doing something. I would not trade any of the SoCon schools for GW, SCS, Winthrop or Charleston.
 #49399  by FurmAlum
 Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:00 pm
apaladin wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:13 pm
FurmAlum wrote:

ETSU, UNCG, are closer than most of the “new” ones you menntionef. All are closer than Sammy. No sense in lowering the quality of the SoCon with the teams you mentioned just to be doing something. I would not trade any of the SoCon schools for GW, SCS, Winthrop or Charleston.
I wouldn't either but the SoCon would need to add somebody if they left. I don't want them to leave.
 #49406  by apaladin
 Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:52 pm
The CAA today added Stonybrook, Hampton and Monmouth. Not exactly a big boost to the prestige of the CAA.
 #49441  by Affirm
 Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:19 pm
apaladin wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:52 pm
The CAA today added Stonybrook, Hampton and Monmouth. Not exactly a big boost to the prestige of the CAA.
Furman WOULD be a boost to the prestige of the CAA. (Note: I did not suggest for Furman to move to the CAA, although it is an interesting thought to ponder.)
Stony Brook, Hampton, and Monmouth all have been MUCH more successful than Furman getting into the NCAA Basketball Tournament in multiple years much more recently than Furman.
Similarly, those 3 schools have been as successful or more successful getting in the FCS postseason.
If the prestige of the CAA has been reduced in any way due to the addition of those 3 schools (I do not agree that it has been, but I said “if it has”), then it would seem to strengthen the SoCon’s chances to bring in Richmond and W&M as well as Elon and UNCW and CofC.
 #49448  by tya1
 Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:15 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:23 am
Nope, nobody in that group matches the prestige of household names like WCU, ETSU or UTC.
ETSU and UTC each picked up wins against SEC teams this season. How many P5 wins did those new CAA teams get this year. How about the past 30 years combined.

Recent Topics

User avatar Roster Rebuild

by apaladin

Wed May 15, 2024 1:57 pm

User avatar New Spartanburg Minor League Team

by Davemeister

Wed May 15, 2024 11:19 am

User avatar Richmond to Patriot League for Football

by FUBeAR

Wed May 15, 2024 10:38 am

Default Avatar New Lax Coach

by Sad Din

Tue May 14, 2024 6:12 pm

User avatar Furman at Mississippi Negative Nancy

by FUTex

Tue May 14, 2024 12:58 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.