• CAA, Big South, Monmouth

#49451  by FUBeAR
 Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:34 am
tya1 wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:15 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:23 am
Nope, nobody in that group matches the prestige of household names like WCU, ETSU or UTC.
ETSU and UTC each picked up wins against SEC teams this season. How many P5 wins did those new CAA teams get this year. How about the past 30 years combined.
Just ETSU (who beat Vandy) picked up an SEC scalp. UTC played Kentucky close & led 16-14 in the 4th quarter, but UK got the 28-23 win in the end.

But to your point, in addition to those 2 games, Samford & Mercer got L’s vs. Florida & Alabama respectively, but both Teams (if you watched the game…don’t care about any scores or stats) acquitted themselves quite well against SEC opponents. Too bad the Playoff Selection Committee wasn’t forced to watch those 4 SoCon vs. SEC games before they concluded the SoCon was a 1-bid league.
 #49453  by Affirm
 Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:49 am
FUBeAR wrote:
tya1 wrote:
Furmanoid wrote:
Nope, nobody in that group matches the prestige of household names like WCU, ETSU or UTC.
ETSU and UTC each picked up wins against SEC teams this season. How many P5 wins did those new CAA teams get this year. How about the past 30 years combined.
Just ETSU (who beat Vandy) picked up an SEC scalp. UTC played Kentucky close & led 16-14 in the 4th quarter, but UK got the 28-23 win in the end.

But to your point, in addition to those 2 games, Samford & Mercer got L’s vs. Florida & Alabama respectively, but both Teams (if you watched the game…don’t care about any scores or stats) acquitted themselves quite well against SEC opponents. Too bad the Playoff Selection Committee wasn’t forced to watch those 4 SoCon vs. SEC games before they concluded the SoCon was a 1-bid league.
And to add to the point, allow me the following opinions:
1. Bringing in to SoCon some more teams like the 5 I mentioned would quickly make the SoCon a 3- or 4-bid league.
2. Multiple SoCon teams including Furman joining CAA to make a 18-19- or 20 school super conference with North & South divisions could quickly make CAA a 4- or 5-bid league.
Plus this OFF-POINT fact and opinion: #25 Davidson of A-10 lost last night to VCU. Richmond, for basketball only, is A-10. For all other sports, Richmond is CAA. (Ideally, taking Richmond in to SoCon for all other sports would include prying them away from A-10 basketball; or at least open up some added scheduling opportunities for SoCon teams against some A-10 teams. Not ideally at all, but possibly out of necessity, SoCon might “pry” VCU and Hampton in order to pry Richmond.)
 #49459  by Furmanoid
 Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:25 am
FUBeAR wrote:
tya1 wrote:
Furmanoid wrote:

Not so fast. Let’s look at percentage of FCS seasons in the playoffs.

Stony Brook makes the playoffs 31% of the time.
Monmouth 27%
Hampton 18%
ETSU. 10%
UTC 10%
WCU 2%

What about championships?

Hampton 19 conference and 7 national.
UTC 15 conference
Monmouth 7 conference
ETSU 5 conference
Stony Brook 5 conference
WCU 0 (but 1 near miss for a natty)

I’m not seeing a compelling case that these SoCon teams are that much more prestigious.

It is true that the yankee teams do not upset or lose well to SEC teams (or faux SEC teams like Vandy) that they do not play against. But I’m not sure record against teams not played is a great metric.
 #49460  by FUBeAR
 Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:32 am
Furmanoid wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:25 am
FUBeAR wrote:
tya1 wrote:
Furmanoid wrote:

But I’m not sure record against teams not played is a great metric.
But you are sure past records against a bunch of non-schollies, partially funded, and horrible MEAC/Big South Teams IS a great metric?

C’mon man.

ETSU, Chatt, and even WCU all 3 would’ve all 3 beaten all 3 of HU, SB, and Monmouth at a .750 clip over the years.
 #49461  by Furmanoid
 Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:09 pm
When it comes to horribleness, WCU can go toe to toe with any damn body.

ETSU is hard to evaluate since they have had good years of late, but only after a 10 year hiatus caused by awfulness.

UTC has been off and on good for a long time but 8 of the championships I gave them credit for were at lower divisions.

You’re right about the MEAC. I remember that standing room only game when we blew out SC State back in ‘82.
 #49464  by FUBeAR
 Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:18 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:09 pm
When it comes to horribleness, WCU can go toe to toe with any damn body.

ETSU is hard to evaluate since they have had good years of late, but only after a 10 year hiatus caused by awfulness.

UTC has been off and on good for a long time but 8 of the championships I gave them credit for were at lower divisions.

You’re right about the MEAC. I remember that standing room only game when we blew out SC State back in ‘82.
Wow - ur gonna blow every gasket on that wayback machine ur using if you keep using it to look so hard for a cherry to pick.

Speaking of cherries, comparing 3 long-term SoCon programs to these 3 vagabond programs is truly apples & oranges. Put some whip cream on top of that fruit & poop salad you are selling. Maybe some fool will buy it.
 #49466  by Furmanoid
 Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:31 pm
I’m selling the poop salad that the programs are comparable in that they’ve had comparable levels of success.

You are selling the idea that championships and playoff histories are irrelevant because everybody knows that even doormats of the SoCon are way, way better than teams who win their conferences and go to the playoffs. In fact they are soooo much better that they can’t even be COMPARED to those teams.

At least my poop salad has a cherry on it. I guess you can put WCU’s ‘83 season on yours.
 #54768  by FUBeAR
 Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:41 am
 #54777  by Affirm
 Wed Aug 03, 2022 1:24 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:41 am
So beginning in 2023, Campbell will be playing in a 14-team (?) FCS conference with the following (?) schools:
Delaware
Elon
Hampton
Maine (football only)
Monmouth
NCA&TSU
New Hampshire (football only)
Rhode Island (football only)
Richmond (football only?)
Stony Brook
Towson
UAlbany (football only)
Villanova football only)
William & Mary
WOW! Looks like a VERY BIG step up for Campbell football.
Are they joining CAA for all sports?
Is my list above accurate?
What is the state of the Big South Conference after this Campbell departure?
**** What are the chances that the SoCon will lose any of the following to CAA:
VMI
Furman
Citadel
UNCG (non-football)
Wofford
WCU
others
????
Last edited by Affirm on Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
 #54779  by FUBeAR
 Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:03 pm
The thing FUBeAR finds interesting is that…

1) the rumors are heavy that the CAA will add Howard to get to 16 Teams
2) then split scheduling into 8-Team North/South Divisions
3) South 8 will be Campbell, NCA&T, Elon, Hampton, Richmond, W&M, Towson, Howard

FUBeAR doesn’t think E*Loan’s Elite thought they were joining the MEAC+Campbell when they exited the SoCon.

BY USNWR RANKING
Elon: #83 National, D/PU Carnegie
Towson: #196, D/PU Carnegie
Hampton: #202, R2 Carnegie (stated goal R1)
NC A&T: #277 National, R2 Carnegie (stated goal R1)
Campbell: #277 National, D/PU Carnegie

Guess Towson U & Howard away games in the DC area will give them all the “Northeastern” ‘brand exposure’ they’re gonna get :lol:

Would not be surprised to see Richmond & W&M rejoin the SoCon at some point. Just don’t think the CAA South is where they will want to be either.
Last edited by FUBeAR on Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #54780  by Affirm
 Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:25 pm
FUBeAR wrote:

3) South 8 will be Campbell, NCA&T, Elon, Hampton, Richmond, W&M, Towson, Howard

FUBeAR doesn’t think E*Loan’s Elite thought they were joining the MEAC+Campbell when they exited the SoCon. Guess Towson U & Howard away games in the DC area will give them all the “Northeastern” ‘brand exposure’ they’re gonna get :lol:

Would not be surprised to see Richmond & W&M rejoin the SoCon at some point. Just don’t think the CAA South is where they will want to be either.
Good and interesting comments and info (as usual, thank you).
My main area of concern, though, is about what might be better for the overall future of Furman scheduling and competition, particularly football AND men’s basketball.
 #54793  by Affirm
 Wed Aug 03, 2022 5:33 pm
Doubtful we could have a CAA South for football comprised of the following:
Samford
Mercer
UTC
ETSU
Citadel
Furman
Wofford
WCU
NCA&TSU
Elon
Campbell
VMI
... and a CAA North for football comprised of
Richmond
W&M
Hampton
Howard
Towson
Delaware
Villanova
Monmouth
Stony Brook
UAlbany
URI
UNH
Maine

... plus these other schools also in the CAA for basketball:
CofC
UNCW
UNCG
Drexel
Hofstra
Northeastern

Yes I realize that's 12 +13 = 25. Don't know who to delete from the football north list or to add to the football south list.

Also I realize it's 25+5=30-2 (Richmond, Villanova) = 28 for basketball.
 #54795  by Sir William
 Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:10 pm
affirm wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:25 pm
FUBeAR wrote:

FUBeAR doesn’t think E*Loan’s Elite thought they were joining the MEAC+Campbell when they exited the SoCon. Guess Towson U & Howard away games in the DC area will give them all the “Northeastern” ‘brand exposure’ they’re gonna get :lol:

Good and interesting comments and info (as usual, thank you).
My main area of concern, though, is about what might be better for the overall future of Furman scheduling and competition, particularly football AND men’s basketball.
SOCON
apaladin liked this
 #54806  by apaladin
 Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:53 am
JMU leaves and the CAA has really gone downhill IMHO. Has anyone ever been to Campbell U. Look up “middle of nowhere” and you will see a pic of CU.

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Roster Rebuild

by Dins&Heels

Sat May 18, 2024 6:22 pm

Default Avatar 2024 opponents

by Affirm

Sat May 18, 2024 11:04 am

User avatar PreSeason Poll

by FUBeAR

Sat May 18, 2024 4:44 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by FU Hoopla

Fri May 17, 2024 11:27 pm

User avatar 100 DAYS

by apaladin

Fri May 17, 2024 10:28 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.