• Welp…it’s been real, y’all…

#43988  by FUBeAR
 Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:29 pm
 #43991  by Furmanoid
 Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:43 pm
If this means what I think it’s going to mean, a college players union making constant silly demands, calling for strikes and screwing everything up, I’m all for DIII status. Our students vs. your students.

A Furman guy gets a $1/4 million education. If that isn’t enough, fine, we should stop offering anything. I will find it hilarious if they do their union thing and 50-100,000 scholarships vanish.
 #43992  by Affirm
 Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:59 pm
As I read it, this would NOT apply to The Citadel, UNCG, WCU, ETSU, or UTC. This WOULD apply to Furman, Wofford, Mercer, and Samford. NLRA does not apply to public employees, which players at those former 5 public colleges would be called.
NLRA does apply to private employees, which players at private colleges would be called.
This could be very interesting.
 #44003  by JohnKX512
 Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:02 pm
All of our football players are independent contractors.

Once you sign a letter of intent, it is a contract position. If you do not meet the qualifications of that contract (GPA, code of conduct, etc) then your contract is terminated.

If an individual player can leave at any time to go to another school (company) due to the transfer portal, then it is contract job.
 #44005  by Affirm
 Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:36 pm
If any particular school in the SoCon were to decide to pay players $15.00 per hour for a weekly or biweekly paycheck, I wonder what the annual gross income for one player would be.
How many hours per year would they be employed by the school?
How many weeks per year would the school need to pay them at $22.50 for overtime work, and how many hours over 40 in those weeks would they have at that 1.5x rate?
What hourly rate of pay would a Furman full-scholarship (formerly full-scholarship, now converted to employment) football player need to have to cover the value of their (former) full-scholarship, which presumably (?) they now would be funding with their annual football employment pay (although some would perhaps have other scholarships and thereby could bank some or all of their football employment pay)?
 #44006  by Affirm
 Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:40 pm
JohnKX512 wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:02 pm
All of our football players are independent contractors.

Once you sign a letter of intent, it is a contract position. If you do not meet the qualifications of that contract (GPA, code of conduct, etc) then your contract is terminated.

If an individual player can leave at any time to go to another school (company) due to the transfer portal, then it is contract job.
Until now, if this NLRB memo is actually upheld?
But I am not at all sure that your criteria actually do make them independent contractors, even before this NLRB memo.
 #44010  by Furmanoid
 Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:43 pm
Pretty sure they would need to play a few games for some other team each year. Otherwise they are coemployed by themselves and FU. I got caught in this trap a long time ago and and was forced to roll over from high paid contractor to cheap regular employee. But maybe the interpretation has changed.
 #44011  by JohnKX512
 Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:57 pm
affirm wrote:
If any particular school in the SoCon were to decide to pay players $15.00 per hour for a weekly or biweekly paycheck, I wonder what the annual gross income for one player would be.
How many weeks per year would the school need to pay them at $22.50 for overtime work, and how many hours over 40 in those weeks would they have at that 1.5x rate?
What hourly rate of pay would a Furman full-scholarship (formerly full-scholarship, now converted to employment) football player need to have to cover the value of their (former) full-scholarship, which presumably (?) they now would be funding with their annual football employment pay (although some would perhaps have other scholarships and thereby could bank some or all of their football employment pay)?
This is an even more real dilemma/discussion for this issue. I feel like athletic scholarships should not be an option if they are also “employed”. That is double dipping.
 #44012  by JohnKX512
 Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:59 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Pretty sure they would need to play a few games for some other team each year. Otherwise they are coemployed by themselves and FU. I got caught in this trap a long time ago and and was forced to roll over from high paid contractor to cheap regular employee. But maybe the interpretation has changed.
It depends on how you file your contract with taxes and liability. LLC or business while contracting.
 #44013  by Affirm
 Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:11 pm
JohnKX512 wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:59 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
It depends on how you file your contract with taxes and liability. LLC or business while contracting.
it depends on more than that
 #44014  by Affirm
 Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:14 pm
JohnKX512 wrote:
affirm wrote:
This is an even more real dilemma/discussion for this issue. I feel like athletic scholarships should not be an option if they are also “employed”. That is double dipping.
No, not double dipping. The school has students on academic scholarships who also have jobs paid by the school, working as employees of the school.
 #44015  by JohnKX512
 Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:05 pm
affirm wrote:
JohnKX512 wrote:
affirm wrote:
No, not double dipping. The school has students on academic scholarships who also have jobs paid by the school, working as employees of the school.
I just don’t see how you can have a athletic scholarship that is funded by the employer as well as getting paid by the employer.

This sucks.
 #44016  by FUBeAR
 Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:59 pm
Hopefully the union(s) representing almost all “Employee Athletes” (other than P5 Football & D1 Basketball Players) will negotiate contracts based primarily on a profit sharing model.
 #44017  by Furmanoid
 Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:12 pm
affirm wrote:
JohnKX512 wrote:
affirm wrote:
You get an academic scholarship for being smart. If you have a job, they aren’t paying you again to be smart. You’re serving food or something. You aren’t getting paid twice for the same service.
 #53431  by FUBeAR
 Mon May 09, 2022 6:22 pm
Here’s a new twist…

Get your NIL money so you can afford to NOT play for dear ol’ Whatsamatta U. and get ready for the NFL Draft instead…by NOT playing Football.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/ ... ver-louder

Recent Topics

User avatar Roster Rebuild

by apaladin

Fri May 17, 2024 12:21 am

User avatar The Future Home Of Furman Basketball

by FU Hoopla

Thu May 16, 2024 11:56 pm

User avatar Off-season SOCON Transfer Tracker

by FU Hoopla

Thu May 16, 2024 11:55 pm

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by FU Hoopla

Thu May 16, 2024 11:52 pm

User avatar Notes from all around

by FurmanATT

Thu May 16, 2024 2:46 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.