• Georgia State

#85008  by The Jackal
 Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:00 am
In an unexpected announcement, Georgia State's football coach, Shawn Elliott, has departed to be a position coach at South Carolina.

While this isn't FCS ball specifically, Georgia State has poached a lot of former SoCon coaches. Furman's staff has not been touched much (at all) by the coaching carousel, but a SunBelt HC job opening up unexpectedly could start that wheel turning again.

Of note, Chad Staggs is the defensive coordinator for the Panthers. I believe other than Duane Vaughn, all the former defensive coaches under Staggs during his Furman stint have moved on.
 #85012  by Roundball
 Thu Feb 15, 2024 6:08 pm
It seems as though Elliott had his second spring practice, then a press conference, and then bolted after that. We blast players for leaving a program. For me, it is worse when a coach does the same to his players. Eliott is replacing former Furman player Justin Stepp as the TE Coach.
 #85015  by Paul C
 Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:07 pm
I’m a bit worried about this
 #85021  by Roundball
 Fri Feb 16, 2024 5:42 am
Roundball wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2024 6:08 pm
It seems as though Elliott had his second spring practice, then a press conference, and then bolted after that. We blast players for leaving a program. For me, it is worse when a coach does the same to his players. Eliott is replacing former Furman player Justin Stepp as the TE Coach.
First, this subject should be under FBS football.

My apologies to Elliott. I did not realize his wife and children never moved to Atlanta. He went back to Columbia to be close to his family. No one can blame a man for putting his family over career and the almighty dollar. https://www.postandcourier.com/sports/c ... 26ef5.html
 #85026  by FUBeAR
 Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:01 am
Paul C wrote:
Yes - FUBeAR would not be surprised to see Georgia State's AD, Charlie Cobb, who played OL under Coach Caldwell, Coach Sheridan, and the rest of the Furman gang at NC State look toward a Conference Championship winning, National Championship contending, Georgia native with a winning percentage of .769 the past 2 years as a potential candidate for the Panthers next Head Coach.

Cobb arrived at NCSU in 1987. He was recruited from Airport HS in Columbia (where Coach Sheridan was Head Coach before he came to Furman) the during the 1986 season. Back in those days, GA's typically did a lot of the Recruiting work, particularly building relationships with Recruits for the position they Coached/Played. And, GA's typically Coached the (mostly) Freshman Scout Team for that position.

JDVPAD & PED may need to get off their wallets.
 #85030  by Roundball
 Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:20 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:01 am
Paul C wrote:
Yes - FUBeAR would not be surprised to see Georgia State's AD, Charlie Cobb, who played OL under Coach Caldwell, Coach Sheridan, and the rest of the Furman gang at NC State look toward a Conference Championship winning, National Championship contending, Georgia native with a winning percentage of .769 the past 2 years as a potential candidate for the Panthers next Head Coach.

Cobb arrived at NCSU in 1987. He was recruited from Airport HS in Columbia (where Coach Sheridan was Head Coach before he came to Furman) the during the 1986 season. Back in those days, GA's typically did a lot of the Recruiting work, particularly building relationships with Recruits for the position they Coached/Played. And, GA's typically Coached the (mostly) Freshman Scout Team for that position.

JDVPAD & PED may need to get off their wallets.
I expect Georgia State to name one of the assistants as Interim Coach. That will be the only way to keep the team together for the upcoming season. There is no way Coach Hendrix would leave his team right now. No amount of money would be that important to him and his family. Plus, who wants to go to Georgia State when there is a chance they will be moving down in classification once all of the consolidation is completed?
 #85032  by cavedweller2
 Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:41 am
I wonder if the current state of college football helped influence this move. He wants to coach but doesn't want to deal with the NIL bs that a head coach has to deal with. Just a thought.
 #85058  by Affirm
 Sun Feb 18, 2024 8:03 am
One of the recent articles that I found just 10 minutes ago includes the names of the WCU head coach, and the Kennesaw State head coach, and Josh Stepp, among others. I have not seen CCH name yet, but I agree that CCH needs to be given additional rewards (including more money) by Furman for his outstanding work and to keep him.
 #85059  by Affirm
 Sun Feb 18, 2024 8:05 am
affirm wrote:
One of the recent articles that I found just 10 minutes ago includes the names of the WCU head coach, and the Kennesaw State head coach, and Josh Stepp, among others. I have not seen CCH’s name yet, but I agree that CCH needs to be given additional rewards (including more money) by Furman for his outstanding work and to retain him.
 #85125  by The Jackal
 Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:51 am
affirm wrote:
One of the recent articles that I found just 10 minutes ago includes the names of the WCU head coach, and the Kennesaw State head coach, and Josh Stepp, among others. I have not seen CCH name yet, but I agree that CCH needs to be given additional rewards (including more money) by Furman for his outstanding work and to keep him.
I would be absolutely floored to see Hendrix go anywhere. He's now in his 60s and in a comfortable situation at his alma mater.

Beyond that, Ga State lost their last 5 regular season games and graduated some of their stars (including Darren Grainger). Signing day is past and I would suspect that any coach entering that job would be in rebuild mode with limited options through the transfer portal.

I was more concerned that a school with a long track record of poaching FCS players and coaches would be on the hunt again. Even if they aren't hunting Furman coaches, that can start setting off a chain reaction.
Davemeister liked this
 #85126  by FUpaladin08
 Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:20 am
Seems the likely scenario is to promote Staggs to interim HC. Then they are looking for a new DC which is where we worry about Duane Vaughn, not CCH.
 #85129  by Affirm
 Tue Feb 20, 2024 1:50 pm
FUpaladin08 wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:20 am
Seems the likely scenario is to promote Staggs to interim HC. Then they are looking for a new DC which is where we worry about Duane Vaughn, not CCH.
Thanks for the clarification. I know very little, and I would know far less than "very little" if not for the UFFP.

Recent Topics

User avatar Roster Rebuild

by apaladin

Fri May 17, 2024 12:21 am

User avatar The Future Home Of Furman Basketball

by FU Hoopla

Thu May 16, 2024 11:56 pm

User avatar Off-season SOCON Transfer Tracker

by FU Hoopla

Thu May 16, 2024 11:55 pm

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by FU Hoopla

Thu May 16, 2024 11:52 pm

User avatar Notes from all around

by FurmanATT

Thu May 16, 2024 2:46 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.