• Future FBS alignments

#73819  by Affirm
 Sat Aug 05, 2023 11:15 am
This could go in General Idiocy, but it is FBS Football, so I put it here.
Possible Future FBS alignments:
Four major conferences, each with 20 or 19 members, totaling 78 schools; or possibly each with as few as 16 or 17 members, totaling as few as 65 schools.
1. Present 14 ACC schools, plus ND = 15
2. Present 16 SEC schools = 16
3. Present Big 12 schools including the latest additions of Colorado, AZ, ASU, & Utah = 16
4. Present Big Ten (B1G) schools including the latest additions of Oregon & Washington = 16
TOTAL OF THE ABOVE 4 = 63
5. Definitely Cal & Stanford go to 1 (or 2) of the above 4 = 2
TOTAL OF THE ABOVE including # 5 = 65 ////////
6. Possibly additional schools numbering up to as many as 13 more (with that 13 number resulting in my 78 number, and these (whatever the number of "these" would end up being) would be placed into the above 4
---Oregon State & Washington State (2)
----Tulane, Memphis, SMU, & USF (4)
----Army, Navy, & Air Force (3)
----Appalachian State & James Madison (yes, those 2 both were mentioned in an article I read a few minutes ago about who the ACC might add if the ACC loses some schools) (2)
----North Dakota State & South Dakota State (2)
I note that it is possible for Army & Navy to possibly have to be given some "special privileges" due to their traditional Army-Navy game in the event either or both of them end up being a playoff situation.
TOTAL OF ALL THE ABOVE = 65 to 78.
//// If it ends up being a lower number (closer to 65 than to 78), then 68 would be a good number. Four 16-team divisions. The 68 total number could be reached by adding Oregon State & Washington State plus one other school to the above-indicated group of 65. My nominees for the 68th school would be SMU and Tulane; and my final vote for the 68th school would be Tulane (longest football history between those 2; and Texas already has enough schools in the 68 without adding another as part of the 68).

Wish they would hurry up and get this done.
But we might have to just be patient until as late as 2035 or 2036.
Whatever happens, our greatest interest will, definitely and by far, be in the success of Furman Football.
Go Furman!
 #73832  by Affirm
 Sat Aug 05, 2023 7:12 pm
youwouldno wrote:
Sat Aug 05, 2023 4:33 pm
The ACC isn't going to add App St or JMU.
I was surprised to read that in the article today, and I would be very surprised if it were to happen.
On the other hand, if the ACC loses all of the "Magnificent Seven" of FSU, Miami, Clemson, UNC, NCSU,, UVA, and VT, as well as ND; then the remainder would be GT, WF, DU, Louisville, Pitt, Syracuse, and BC.
So who would be possibilities?
ECU? Charlotte? Coastal Carolina? Georgia Southern? Old Dominion? Army? Navy? UConn? UMass? USF? Marshall?
You say it would not be ASU or JMU.
I guess you are saying also that the ACC will not be losing any members.

Recent Topics

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by FU Hoopla

Thu May 16, 2024 11:52 pm

Default Avatar Roster Rebuild

by Sad Din

Thu May 16, 2024 6:12 pm

User avatar Notes from all around

by FurmanATT

Thu May 16, 2024 2:46 pm

User avatar 2024 opponents

by FUBeAR

Thu May 16, 2024 1:13 pm

User avatar PreSeason Poll

by FUBeAR

Thu May 16, 2024 11:35 am

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.